Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Medieval Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 243Next Topic  
Norway
48 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add petterkr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another unknown AR medieval coin I'm trying to identify. 1.01 g. 13 mm. Any help appreciated...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3593 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks French feudal, but I cannot quite make out the city name * * * VIO * ENSIS. I think not Tours, but what?

Edit: This Burgundian denier gets you close https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces49006.html

And I have now learned the Latin name for Dijon
Edited by tdziemia
07/04/2020 3:04 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
347 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it really only 13 mm across? The denier tdziemia points to is the one I would say it is, if it wasn't for the size... those deniers are never that small, I think, they are 17-19 mm. There are obols of about that size, but they weigh only around 0.5 g and they have another design...
Edited by erafjel
07/04/2020 5:24 pm
Norway
48 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petterkr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are right erafjel. The measurement is nonsense. Its c. 17 mm. I believe Hugues is as close as we can get on this worn one...Thank you both
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05