Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 Double Ear US Lincoln Penny!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 355Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I found a "double ear" 1968 Lincoln penny and sharing its image to receive your kind comments.
With regards,
Habib.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4237 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it looks very well intriguing I believe this is circulation damage. What makes me think this? Look at the area below in the neck, there is metal moved from the circulation damage that I see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinTheTerm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Jim here but I would like to see better images. I'm not sure why members on here don't get in the habit of full obverse and reverse pics plus area in question.... How do you want us to give you feedback without pics of the full coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2243 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a coin or a rock in the backyard
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45747 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1968-1972 cents had a lot of Machine Doubling. Sometimes it affects this area also. Not a doubled die. A doubled die will have the devices enlarged. This is a reduction Machine Doubling affects the outside edges of devices. If you checked the rest of the coin you will see more of the same thing on them as well:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop. I've wondered about Machine Doubling. It's obvious that the date is with (all) the numbers are. Below nose and below chin is because same angle. But didn't it happen to all of LIBERTY Just RTY in your example ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45747 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the direction on this coin. All the affected areas seem to be in the same direction. So it can happen where one device can be affected or several. Sometimes is two directions a swing affect. It depends on how loose the machine is. Machine Doubling can also differ from strike to strike:

The rule for Machine Doubling is: "There are no rules." It is unpredictable.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I asked that question I thought your answer on this one would put you at 45000
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45747 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually went past it just a few minutes ago. I just check and this one counted as two. SO I deleted on and the other one I'm considering as it the official one as I added the information there already.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
Australia
94 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Habib Alimohamma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi every body,
Thank you for all your kind comments and sorry for my week microscope images. I tried to get better images of this coin and hope they are good enough to show your required details.
With best regards,
Habib.

Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna vote damage on this one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05