Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unlisted 1888 5 Pesetas (Pgm) Assayer Mark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 344Next Topic  

Philippines
2 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  02:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add News09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this variety, or error? The weight is 24.8g and the edger and rim were correct.
What will be the price estimate

Edited by News09
07/08/2020 02:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34763 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3621 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you able to read the date in the star?
Philippines
2 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add News09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The star struck on 88 also
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only reason I can think of is it's counterfeit and they used the wrong die pairs.
Learn More...
United States
88780 Posts
Valued Member
239 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nelson9225 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5 Pesetas - Alfonso XIII 1st portrait
found this on e Numista they sell for around $13
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
5 Pesetas - Alfonso XIII 1st portrait
found this on e Numista they sell for around $13

With a pg m assayer on a 1888?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3621 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not like how the date looks ... The examples I can find on Coin Archives, the 8s are equally spaced and uniform.

Maybe someone with more experience on this type will comment.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
974 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of contemporary counterfeits of these - with erroneous initials on.
More here;
https://elhistoricon.blogspot.com/2...illanos.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
4988 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you have bought is a Contemporary Silver Counterfeit. You see by 1893 the world price of silver had fallen to about 30 cents an ounce versus $1 or more per ounce which had been the average price for over 100 years. The cause was the discovery of the massive silver deposits in Nevada (referred to collectively as the Comstock lode).

In Spain as well as the US, Mexico and other locations silver coins became tokens worth only a small fraction of their face value. This caused the counterfeiters of the era to drag out their presses to produce coins with the correct amount of silver present. This meant that most people including banks would simply accept them as silver and not question authenticity. The problem in Spain by the later 1890's had become so common that the government attempted a face value redemption in an attempt to get everyone to turn in the fakes. Millions were redeemed but millions remained. Some people refer to them as "made for Seville" pieces.

If you paid $13, you got a bargain. I pay between $25 and $30 for similar coins.

They are like the micro-O Morgan dollars or the made for China silver counterfeits of the Portrait dollars. At one time they were basically general knowledge but over the years they were all forgotten.

If you ever want to sell it let me know.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16009 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 344Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05