Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Storage Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 14 / Views: 504Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
113 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  6:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As a noob I've made a few mistakes with coin storage that I want to correct. To date I've been buying bulk quantities of coins, sorting and storing the ones I want to keep (after entering in Numista) in plastic coin sheets. As I find a better grade of coin I replace the existing coin in the wallet. My favourite plastic coin sheets turned out to be the dreaded PVC. I found that the stiff coin folders (which I hate) are difficult to use and I have already thrown several in the bin as they cracked and split however apparently these are better as they don't leach chlorine. I'm not too fussed for the moment as the PVC sheets are relatively cheap and have allowed me to start sorting a rapidly expanding collection however I know I will need to store the coins in an alternate manner over the next 6-12 months. So the questions:
A) I am concerned about space in the house. Plastic coin sheets take up minimal space however the Mylar flips seem quite bulky. Is there another alternative? Am also concerned at the price of the flips. Fine for a $20-1000 coin but for 1000s of coins that may be around 10c each? The flips will cost more than the coins.
B) How do you store lots of loose Mylar flips? I like the idea that I can look at all my Aussie circ 50c pieces with just 3 sheets as opposed to 40 or 50 individual flips. Have read of flips stored in plastic sheets where the chlorine leached and passed into the flip causing damage.
C) In terms of re-storing the coins, what composition coins should I be prioritising?
D) I have access to a laser cutter so can cut perspex/acrylic to any design I want and even etch dates. Have been toying with the idea in my mind but has anyone else investigated DIY storage like this? Are there any adverse effects of acrylic on coins?
E) Are the coin capsules any good? Am thinking of storing coins in capsules and putting the capsules in plastic display sheets. Will the chlroine find it's way into the capsule?
F) I recently obtained some USSR mint sets in original carboard packaging. The acid from the cardboard has caused damage to the coins and I assume will continue to cause damage. Collectors say NEVER remove the coins from the mint packaging. Is this an exception to that rule?
Sorry for all the questions. I know this topic has been touched on many times in previous threads however techniques, technology, ideas and materials change over time so thought I might get some recent perspective.
Thanks
Edited by David Graham
07/08/2020 7:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2958 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coin tubes and ziplock baggies are your best bet for bulk storage, more valuable coins can go in cardboard flips, less than
2 cents each in volume..
Pillar of the Community
Australia
521 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David, I use 2 x 2 mylar cardboard flips to store my main collection. These are kept in 20-pocket protective pages (I use BCW) which are placed into a 3 ring folder. I chose this method because you can store a large number of coins in each folder and it makes for easy viewing.

For other coins that I wish to keep safe but still have easy access to I use Lighthouse Numis acid free pocket pages which come in a range of pocket sizes. They aren't A4 size but still fit into a 3 ring folder for storage and viewing.
If you want the bigger A4 size pages then the Royal Australian Mint sells them with various sized pockets in packs of three for $12. Again these are archival safe.

All my other not so important coins or swaps go into labelled bank coin bags which in turn are stored in shoe boxes.

Valued Member
Australia
113 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. Some great ideas. I do like the 2x2 mylars and the way they are displayed but that is really for coins that I'm not regularly upgrading as I believe they get sealed one-off. Is that correct?
Have never looked at coin tubes so will do so.
How easy is it to remove coins from the Lighthouse Numis pages?

Coaster - Like round 50c collection. I see you live down the coast. Am looking at popping down there to the coin shop at Burleigh over around the Ekka weekend and might do some metal detecting around the beaches. Have never been to any swaps as when I started coin collecting the Covid-19 saga started. Is (or was) there much happening coin wise on the Coast? I spent a lot of time on the coast as a youngster (worked for 3-4 years during the X-mas hols at Seaworld!).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
521 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do like the 2x2 mylars and the way they are displayed but that is really for coins that I'm not regularly upgrading as I believe they get sealed one-off. Is that correct?

Yes if you use the self adhesive ones, which probably look the best. However I use the ones that you staple so that I can replace/upgrade a coin easily by just removing to two top staples and then re-stapling.

Quote:
How easy is it to remove coins from the Lighthouse Numis pages?

Very easy, you just slid out the inner sleeve. The advantage with this type of sheet is that coins cannot fall out once in place. The only disadvantage is that they don't hold as many coins as an A4 sheet does.

Quote:
Have never been to any swaps? Is (or was) there much happening coin wise on the Coast?

No, most of my world coins were collected through travel and from family members. My Australian collection comes mainly from noodling and through the till at my son's business. I'm not aware of any local clubs or coin shops.
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also use the numis sheets as seen above, beautiful when viewing your coins, rather than the cardboard flips which gives me the feeling the coin is way too enclosed, and I can't have the feeling of the coin itself.

By the way, Numis sells beautiful albums for these sheets which I use:

Learn More...
United States
88814 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking good, coaster! Thank you for sharing.

I like country inserts with the flags. That is a nice touch.

Valued Member
Australia
113 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I like country inserts with the flags. That is a nice touch.

Australia
35 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might jump on Davids thread here and ask for recommendations. At the moment I'm using little a5 books that are clear sheets with pockets so you can see both sides of the coin. These were relatively cheap ebay purchases from China and I can't ascertain what they are made of but most coin people would seem to assume there is a good chance of pvc and to not risk it. Anyway I was told vst do a similar book but from the few pictures I can find they seem to have a white backing I don't know if this is attached to the plastic or a separate sheet behind and if it's attached I would assume it prevents me from seeing both sides. Anybody know if these are any good? or should I try something else? Where is it best to purchase coin albums?
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you mean the albums above then yes, those are separate white sheets so you can still see the reverse of your coins.

Not sure where they sell them in the usa as I am from europe. They call them Leuchtturm Numis here. EBay perhaps?
Australia
35 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got a response from a retailer that sells the VST albums and apparently VST refers to their albums as "coin safe" PVC but provide no further explanation to what that actually means. So no filled with confidence.
Learn More...
United States
88814 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PVC is not bad (think about your water pipes). The plasticizers (used to soften PVC for use in coin pages, which need to be flexible) are the real villain. They break down the PVC and leach out over time. This is the "green goo" you see.

It is conceivable that a more stable plasticizer has been developed, one that keeps the PVC from disintegrating. However, the true long term effects might not be known for a while, so your lack of confidence is warranted.
Mexico
7 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mibarra to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Have Been pretty busy during the quarantine, I organized all my coins, in flips (2900 aprox) and all Mexican coins (Primary Collection) I have printed and cutted information for the flips in my opinion they look great it was a slow process for the first ones but as you advance and with time it was a fast process, and the results are great

Pillar of the Community
United States
1168 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF, @mibarra!
Those 2x2s look great! How did you make and adhere the paper labels to the flip?
Mexico
7 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mibarra to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First decided no the design and Info I wanted on the flip, Designed in Silhouette Studio 4.0 and cutted them with a Cameo 3 cutting plotter in plain Bond Paper, then placed them with 3M Repositionable Spray.

It hides great the Staples and gives the flip and the album a great look.

I made that normal design, and some different designs for Special Commemorative Coins. I Also Made the same design for larger coins in Transparent flips.
  Replies: 14 / Views: 504Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05