Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1910 Threepence - Is This A Grease Strike/Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 236Next Topic  

United Kingdom
10 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  09:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adahn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I was recently checking through some coins I received in a small joblot order and found this one:

I was wondering whether this was an example of a grease strike on a coin? I've not seem many UK threepence error coins, so was at a loss to explain what else this could be. The obverse is worn of course, but even then I would expect the lettering to appear slightly sharper at this stage (and the artist initials almost look smooth enough to feel fake!).

Any help or opinions gratefully received :)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
409 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  10:30 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see anything particularly wrong with the coin except a lot of wear and clag on the reverse. I would suggest a gentle clean in warm soapy water, and if this doesn't help then try Surgical spirit or Acetone. I think the bulk of the black on the reverse is wax/grease built up over years in circulation and until that is cleared it is difficult to see whether anything else is going on.
I know collectors generally discourage cleaning, and that is certainly wise with good coins. Using silver dip or aything abrasive is clearly wrong, but soap or a gentle solvent to remove grease is beneficial. (All the grading companies do it under the heading of "conservation".)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49537 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I worry that this might be environmental damage.

to the CCF!
United Kingdom
10 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adahn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback both. I actually have tried a little acetone on a cotton bud and given some of the reverse a light poke, and there was no discolouration coming onto the bud at all. I also tried to use a cocktail stick to give a light poke to the cud or build up at the top of the reverse and I felt no give at all - I'm certain it feels and looks part of the coin.

re: environmental damage, is there anything specific I could research here? To be honest, it is a bit of an ugly duckling of a coin, but I'm treating it as a learning exercise
Valued Member
United Kingdom
409 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  06:25 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with the "ugly duckling"! I am sorry to say, but in my hands that one would be in the scrap metal pot very quickly.

Yes - use it to gain some knowledge. I would soak in Acetone for a few hours to see if that loosens up the clag. If not, I would be tempted to try something even stronger. If it is heavy tarnishing or other environmental damage, it may require a mild acid to get through it. All on the basis that the coin as it standards is worth only the silver content, so you are not losing anything.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
469 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nothing wrong with learning as you go, we all did, and will continue to, that's the beauty of hobbies.
Paddy is right though, this one is a scrap metal coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05