Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seeking Advice On 1917 Gold Sovereign, No Mint Mark

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 541Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dougheath to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Hoping for some advice. I inherited a 1917 Gold Sovereign with no mint mark.
Local dealers I've shown it to estimate that it is AU condition.

I would like to go about selling it and was looking for advice on how best to do so. Should I have it certified and if so, should I go with PCGS, or NGC or some other certifier. Once I do certify it, how do I best sell it? Through an auction house, straight to a dealer, Ebay?

Further complicating things, I live in Ottawa, Canada. Away for the main markets for such a coin, I suspect.

Very grateful for any advice and apologies if there are already many posts on this type of topic.

Thanks,

Doug H
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3406 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since this issue is a rarity , an absolute must to get it certified .
A solid AU is a 12 to 15 K coin all day long . Once certified
any recognized Coin Auction firm will be able to handle your sale.
Show some pix as this coin is extensively counterfeit or altered .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49523 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some pics?

to the CCF!
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougheath to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pacific Coin, I'm having trouble uploading pictures on here. I can email them to you. I'm at *** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. ***
Valued Member
United Kingdom
409 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures are vital for all us here as this is a much faked coin. Check out the guides on uploading pictures - usual problem is reducing the size, which can be done with free programs such as Photoscape.
Some are outright fakes, some are "jewellers copies" - gold imitations created for use in rings etc. Genuine ones are very valuable. Weight would also help...
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougheath to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try to upload, and can also email. The dealers in town mentioned the same thing re fakes, but then took at the coin, examined the weight, etc made cash offers on the spot. So my hunch is it's real. I'm really looking at how best to get between what the dealers are offering, low $3-4k, and the GBP10K I see cited on other websites. I guess I get the certification, but after that, what do I do. And which certification should I purchase, etc.
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougheath to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(The history of this is that my grandfather, born in 1906, immigrated to Canada from London in the 1920s, and brought this with him.)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you could take some great photos in adequate light with sharp details and upload them we could help you lots. 300kb is the file limit for upload. I resize my photos in Paint, just file-resize and change the percentage until it tells you the file size (at the bottom) is under 300kb. Sorry if I sounded patronising, only trying to help :)
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougheath to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougheath to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JBuck. Friends, any views based on this picture?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
468 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Where's the rest of it?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3406 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From that pic , can't tell much !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49523 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper pics needed, including full shots of both sides.
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougheath to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougheath to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 541Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05