Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can I Figure Coin Quantity By The Weight Of Them?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 232Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chboro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ask because I just went through at least 10 years of coins we would put in this bag. Since I had all this time on my hands I decided to go through them and try and fill some folders. Cents, Nickels, Dimes and quarters.
I am just curious as to how many coins I went through.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5918 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to 100% accuracy because most coins are within a few hundredths of a gram of the ideal tolerance (plus metal loss to circulation wear), which will add up when dealing with thousands of coins.

Cents can't be counted by weight because zinc cents are about half a gram lighter than the older copper ones.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16757 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mixed coins no. Separated by denomination yes, roughly. Clad coins (dimes quarters and halves) yes, mixed or separated.

As mentioned you can't for cents due to the different compositions in unknown percentages.
5 cent (separated) About $5.60 per pound.
Clad coins are $20 per pound, any mixture.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3589 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mixed coins no

Correct. However, the number must be between 80 and 200 coins to the pound if we are talking only cents, nickels, dimes and quarters (i.e., no halves, etc). If you have equal numbers of cents, nickels, dimes and quarters, you have about 115 coins to the pound.
I suspect most pocket change collections would have a larger proportion of cents, which should increase that figure a bit.

So, if you went through a 10 lb. bag of coins, I would guess you did over 1200 coins.
Edited by tdziemia
07/14/2020 8:16 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 232Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05