Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On Importing Canadian Coins From The US

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 467Next Topic  
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  1:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mikefromcanmore5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I am new to the Canadian coin forum, and have enjoyed reading all the excellent posts and answers from the members here.

I do have a question. I recently purchased some Canadian coins from Heritage Auctions (HA). I had heard that you can possibly save some import fees if you mention to your broker that the coins were made in Canada. I was wondering if any of you had experience in this area, and if you can let me know your experiences. I am not sure if getting HA to write a letter that the goods were made or manufactured in Canada makes any difference, or if there is a process with Canada customs, or the customs broker to address this later and get reimbursed the import fees from the US?

Thanks so much.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4557 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are out of luck, Heritage only use Fedex or UPS to Canada, stuck with broker and HST fees, no duty on coins
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1043 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depending on how you value your time, you can go through a self declaration process, which essentially skips the fedex/ups broker fee. Google the info on how to do it. I have not done it, but have looked into it.you would have to pickup from fedex/ups after getting all forms done

If you live close to the border, I would suggest getting a box, if you dont mind waiting until border reopens. We are in vancouver and have a box in blaine, costs $3 per package to receive. We drive down and pickup and take accross border, you get cheaper domestic shipping. Sometimes pay tax at border, sometimes not.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
900 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
contact Pacific,
he has all the info on border traffic.
Learn More...
Canada
9189 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I simply told Heritage to write on the declaration form "made in Canada" and I have not been charged import duty ever since...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3407 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The info I can share on the border right now is this.
No sense using a US post box or delivery address
at this time , because quite simply ,that package will
be sitting there a very long time . Border could well
be shut til next year for many reasons .
Currently , ( since May 20 th ) we are using a Courier
Company that services Abbotsford BC and Sumas WA .
They have been excellent , saving us time , money and the
hassle of Dealing with Trudeau's " friendly " CBSA border
Covidiots ! The last time we took our own stuff over in May it was a
three hour long adventure with the Canadian Clowns getting home!
All of my NGC and ANACS packages are being sent to our Canadian
address at this time , as it is just plain easier.

Edited by Pacificoin
07/17/2020 1:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4557 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will be charged a 25 buck broker fee and HST there is no duty on coins, you can save the 25 bucks but you have to go to the Fedex or UPS depot, get the forms, documents, go to nearest customs office, then return to depot, my guest it would cost 20 bucks gas and 50 bucks headaches. If you buy at Heritage, there is no other options.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mikefromcanmore5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all your comments, they are very helpful.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 467Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05