Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 Small Cent Commemorative?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,104Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5680 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  8:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Royal Canadian Mint's ( RCM) recent release of a set of non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) silver coins to commemorate the 150th anniversary of its "first unified series of circulating coinage in 1870" made me wonder if it will be doing anything for the small cent?

Canada transitioned from large cents to small cents in 1920. So, this year marks the 100th anniversary of the switch and, based on the RCM's penchant to issue coins commemorating other coins, it seems like a 2020 small cent commemorative coin would be in their "sweet spot."

To me, if a a commemorative piece were to be issued, it would be best as a copper coin issued in the same size and metallic composition as the original but distinguished by its modern proof finish and commemorative dual dating. The RCM, however, would likely release an over-sized version in silver due to its belief that collectors prefer such fantasy coins vs. more faithful reproductions.

IMO, the 2010 and 2011 silver dollars that commemorated the 75th anniversary of Canada's first circulating silver dollar in 1935 and the 100th anniversary of the 1911 dollar coin trial strikes, respectively, are examples of effective, historically-faithful commemorative coins vs. contrived fantasy pieces. The new dollar coins are the same size as the originals and were struck in the same metal (silver) as the originals. They work well as commemorative pieces!

Thoughts?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6670 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the 2012 my thought was opposite.
I would agree to keep the Silver Dollars same size, and also think that:
1911-2011 SD,
1935-2010 SD
1908-1998 set
1967-2017 set
are the best examples.

Together with this, wanted to see small old coins to be reproduced on larger planchet.

But this was mistake, I assume.
RCM started to commemorate everything in "big" .... 1oz, 2oz, 5oz. Except the fact, that the coins look unnaturally large, they also overpriced. I happy with 2012 Penny set for CAD 150, but I do not want 2017 Penny set for CAD 700.
2 oz SD series (which looks as dead now) - was somehow OK, but then RCM continued with 50c as 2oz .... WT*

So, to say it in general:
I would prefer these NCLT to be minted in original size, but from silver. If needed - with Bronze coating.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, to be dual dated, it would be 1920-2020? (Nineteen twenty twenty twenty) LOL Numerologist will have fun with that.
Edited by Dcadon
07/19/2020 8:38 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9661 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:31 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, turns out there is a 2020 small cent commemorative. I like it, except the reeded edge seems so odd with this coin.

I ordered mine (from Colonial Acres) earlier this evening.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8363 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tribute to Alex Colville.
It's about the size of a fishscale.
Like commems I was hoping there would be a real 100th anniversary commemorative.
I guess it wasn't to be.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
03/03/2021 02:14 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BUT... to be true to being Commemorative, the continuation of the coin should have been complete. The one cent coin was discontinued in 2012. It doesn't deserve a 100 years commemoration. (however the mint says it's 100 years since the birth of Colville) Certainly, a gold replica of a 1967 design, though I like all the Colville's, has no value being a one off, and not any part of a 'collection'. So, to sum it up. This 'Gold 2020 penny' is a) not correct to size, b) not correct to content, and c) not correct to the 1920 design. It's an abomination.
Edited by Dcadon
03/04/2021 4:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5680 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
to be true to being Commemorative, the continuation of the coin should have been complete. The one cent coin was discontinued in 2012. It doesn't deserve a 100 years commemoration.

Can't say I agree. I don't see the need for the penny to still be an active denomination for the 100th anniversary of the introduction of its smaller size to be commemorated - that's the nature of commemorative pieces, celebrate past people/places/events.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
460 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's an abomination

Sheesh @Dcadon... You need to get off the fence here... give us your honest opinion.

I think you are a bit harsh... It was intended as a Coleville commemorative, not a 1920-2020 penny commemorative. I do agree on the size but for a different reason. The entire Coleville set is so small as to be ridiculous. It is even worse given that they have issued this in a case that could have easily held 6 34mm or even at a push, 38mm coins. These coins at 16mm are smaller than a dime (18mm). At least when the mint released the 1/20 oz 50c gold coins, they put them in a capsule with a bezel to help them stand out and actually to give you something to hold on to when looking at the coin..... 1/10th oz is just too small.

Part of the appeal of the 1967 set (imho) is the majesty of the iconic images on their flat fields... uncluttered and distinct... at 16mm you have lost that impact. That said, a set that is full sized in gold would have been unaffordable at least for a mintage of 1,200 units and they just did a Silver reissue in 2017 though mindless repetition has never been a hindrance to the RCM in the past.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
629 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would prefer these NCLT to be minted in original size

Agreed . The Canada small cent is an absolute classic. Issue the 100th commemoratives in the original size/format and I'd be a buyer.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2220 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What pleases one may disgust another. How many times have we said before..."Buy what you like."
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,104Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05