Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 LWC/Weighs 2.87 Grams

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 239Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
387 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  3:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this coin awhile and just now weighed it for the first time. Its below tolerance but is there anything else that may suggest more going on with it? The thickness appears normal and if it was a rolled thin planchet wouldn't there be more around the same weight of this coin? Here are a few images....

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34683 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would make it 3.0 grams,still within mint tolerance.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3176 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
normal coin within tolerance.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49438 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close enough for government work.
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all the knowledge on here I was hoping to get a little more input or Insight on this other than it's within tolerance as I think 2.87 grams is quite a bit under 3.1 G which is the normal weight so I guess I'll look into a little more somewhere else thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16772 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is out of the tolerance range (minimum is 2.98 grams), about .1 grams This isn't fare enough off to garner any serious interest or premium. For that you probably need to be .3 to .4 grams out of tolerance. And yes if the strip was rolled thin that probably are more of them out there. Now I don't know how many blanks they can punch from a coil of strip (and I don't know how long the strip WAS back in 1944. I imagine much shorter than the coils they use now.) But lets say they got 10,000 blanks out of a strip. That means if you could somehow get ALL of the 1944 cent back together in one place and went looking through them for another one, you could expect to find one out of every 143,000 coins you examine. If they got 100K out of a strip you would only have to search 14,300 1944's to find another one. Now of course you CAN"T get all of just the 1944's together, so that means you have to look for it among all of the billions of wheat cents that were produced. It just got a LOT tougher to find another one.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 239Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05