Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Lincoln Wheat Cent - Altered, Fake, Or Legit No D

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 375Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1527 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  1:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, I really could use some expertise with this coin. My gut tells me it is most likely no legit, but I thought I'd post it and get other opinions. Weight is 2.9g. Sorry for all the pics, I thought they would help. Thank you for your assistance.

Edited by Sudz
08/01/2020 1:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't help with these kinds, but I'd love to see other comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the D was intentionally removed. I can almost see a trace of it directly below and between the 9 and first 2. I do not believe the die crack on the reverse is a marker. Also, the first 2 is more prominent than the second 2 on the date.
Edited by Jim0815
08/01/2020 2:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the straight die crack from the 1922 die pairing with a strong D (comes off the back of the L). The no D die has the crack from the center of the L.

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/...rieties.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
2003 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First photo appears to show a hint of the "D".
Pillar of the Community
United States
1724 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing any trace of a D myself
Pillar of the Community
United States
6412 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours is not the expensive variety. Not the same markers.

Here is a great video on THE variety to look for as well as info on where to see the weak D varieties:
tbbnQnNBLQw
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2 die cracks that are on the reverse are well documented for the 1922-D. Definitely not a no D. Here's a coin that matches yours exactly, but I suspect the D on yours was removed at some point.

http://goccf.com/t/64644
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2412 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice counterfeit coin I'd say. Matches nothing on any of the four types of no/weak D known coins and likely a removed D done with some skill. I think that one is better than any I have in my counterfeit collection as far as D removal, but they should have started with a coin with at least something resembling the markers on a real one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1527 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions. The good news is that it was in a bag of cents that I paid about 4 cents apiece for. The adrenaline rush when I first saw it was worth that!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2412 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  12:03 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's still worth a good premium over what you got it for. A counterfeit like that can't easily be sold in a public forum like ebay, but honest counterfeit collectors would still probably go maybe $25 for the coin given the condition and quality of the fakery. I mostly buy my fakes from dealers, and honestly if one had that coin I'd go $20 for it and we'd both be happy. Card it as a counterfeit and don't let it get back out into the wild.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1527 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB thanks, that's what I will probably do. You're right, I don't want it going back out in the wild. Too many unscrupulous sellers out there. I've been burned a couple times myself.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 375Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05