Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Dollar Bill Serial Numbering And Lettering

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 226Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  2:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dollar4urthought to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The first letter on modern bills obviously represents where the bill was minted. From what I've read, it seems that the suffix letter does not have a meaning besides noting how many times the serial digits have been cycled through. According to the BEP:

"The last letter advances through the alphabet when all eight character serial numbers have been printed for a specific Federal Reserve Bank within the same series."

I was curious to see if there was information for the years 2003-present regarding how many different suffix letters (how far through the alphabet) were printed from each mint by series?

Thank you ahead of time!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49573 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The letter preceding the serial number actually represents the district of the Federal Reserve Bank that issued the note, not the location where the note was printed. The BEP only prints notes in Washington, DC and West Point, NY.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/01/2020 4:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2775 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF.

Quote:
The first letter on modern bills obviously represents where the bill was minted.

The first letter represents the district. The mint produces our nations coins and medals. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing prints our paper currency. The face plate number, on the lower right side of the face, just above the Secretary of the Treasury's signature, will tell you if it's printed in Washington DC or Fort Worth Texas. If the face plate number has an "FW" preceding the letter/number combination, it's Fort Worth. If it doesn't, then it's Washington DC. There are 12 districts but only two printing facilities. Hope this helps.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollar4urthought to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thank you for the clarification. I was referencing the last letter in the serial number. I was wondering if there was somewhere I could find how far along the alphabet the suffix letter progressed during each series. I'm assuming every series doesn't make it through all the letters (A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2775 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start here and explore the rest of the website. It's literally chocked full of useful information.
http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/f2013_s.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
1284 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
88777 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 226Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05