Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Planchette Errors? 1935 And 19?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 203Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  02:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wexler8811 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Fairly new at collecting still learning alot and I see that there is a lot to learn but these ones have me stumped the 1935 Wheat penny I had seen a nickel on a foreign planchet with the same diamond like punched into it and the 19? Weighs 2.5 grams

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2098 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  02:54 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Severe damage, soaked in acid perhaps? Poor coin.

Second coin looks like moderate damage.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Variety Want List: http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
Learn More...
United States
16631 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wex, first welcome to CCF. Second, gripping a coin in the jaws of a machinist's vise will impart that regular pattern of diamond-shaped damage on the surfaces of a coin. As noted by @sc, that is not a mint error--just damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3176 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We really appreciate it when the one coin per thread is used, but since you have provided both of them here. I'll go ahead and comment on them.

The first coin has been deformed and destroyed some from some unknown sort of acid which has completely destroyed it. Certainly no premium, and you may not be able to convince someone to give you face value for the coin.

The second cent just has damage that has ruined any value the coin may have had. Both coins were damaged post mint. These issues could simply not have occurred at the mint, as there is nothing in the minting process that would cause this damage. Just to confirm, both coins suffer from PMD.

I realise you are new here and might have presented what you thought were rare treasures. I wish I had better news for you. I would encourage you to keep searching. Another CCF member here just found a very uncommon but very valuable cent coin by just looking through his collection! Lots of good coins still exist "in the wild" as we call normal circulation. And as always, we'll be here to answer any questions you may have along the way. Good luck!

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wexler8811 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information and I just wanted to check because I had seen these coins while browsing the internet and saw the diamond like pattern and just wanted to make sure

Pillar of the Community
United States
525 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1964 cent you posted was struck onto another coin from
India. Coins have been struck with all sorts of things in them such as grease, hair, nails, staples, and wires in the past
Edited by Nieuw
08/02/2020 10:32 am
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wexler. It's a great hobby if you hang in there. Please do not hesitate to post and ask questions, that's what CoinCommunity is for. Don't think of any question is wrong. We (all) are asking and learning. I don't care how long we've been doing this.

I agree with everyone's comments of your coins. Especially the 4th paragraph of merclovers. We've all been through that.

Very well said merclover
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2129 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not the same pattern, but here's a jaw of a vise. You can see what would happen if it wasn't fully tightened.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 203Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05