Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916 Lincoln Cent Error ...what Is This?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 526Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add roach to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, recent acquisition...not sure what is going on here....double struck? At first I thought it may have been just "vised" against another coin , but the "extra lettering" is coming out of the coin, in into it. Any ideas?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16926 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a vise job.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50454 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, vise job.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46184 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note how the edge extends beyond the normal circle of the coin. That is just outwards is showing the coin was altered after the strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add roach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A vice job was what I thought at first too, but isn't that where you smoosh two coins together on a vice so that the details from one are imparted on the other? The the letters from the second coin would be pushed INTO the metal of the other coin, The "extra" partial letters above the original TRUST are coming out of the coin not incused INTO it.....or maybe I am thinking of a vice job all wrong?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3546 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would help to have a much larger photo of both sides. From what we can see, it looks like a vise issue.
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add roach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50454 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stick with vise job.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5186 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Intentional damage.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm confused on this one... a vise job would leave the device incuse (recessed) someone help me out here... photo looks raised on the devices.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse photo seems to be a different coin..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46184 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the curve. The devices are on the affected area are mirrored. (tru) Plus the mirror of the rim of the other coin. On the reverse there is just a flatten rim area at 7:00-8:00. 4:00-5:00 is not showing the design on that area that should be there normally if this were a mint error. Just an altered coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/07/2020 5:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add roach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The letters on the edge are RAISED, not incused...If another coin was used they would be incused right? The RAISED letters on the other coin would be INCUSED into this coin right?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The raised, correctly-facing letters were generated by a disc that had the letters of TRUST impressed into it. Essentially, it's the impression of a fake die or, if you will, a counter-impression from a vise job. Damage, however you look at it.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i had a coin like this once , two coins suck together and left in inprint of the other, some water ,and a soft rag and it was gone. good luck
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add roach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So people make a "fake die" to use in a vice with a coin to make a fake error that wouldn't be worth much if it were real anyway.....wow! the lengths people will go to to try to rip someone off! If they put that effort into a legit job they would be highly successful!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05