Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beautiful Modified Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 635Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
563 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  5:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Generally we want our coins in the best grade we can find/afford.
Here I want to show some modified coins which I feel are very collectible and some are real beauties.
I would also like to see yours here.
I start with a relatively classic coin modified after France has lost under Napoleon III the war against Germany in 1870.

I believe that may have took quite some time to do such detailled engravings.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3824 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice item, @maudry. There are dozens of these satirical pieces produced after the french loss in the war. I think that there were a lot of angry French people then.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3983 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice! Anglophones call this the Franco-Prussian War.
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
563 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your comments.
Here is a completely different one. Please note that the eagle has been transformed into an owl on the reverse.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good laugh :D
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
563 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a modified silver coin.
Silver coins are quite uncommon to have been modified.
The quality of the work is remarkable.

Edited by maudry
09/15/2020 3:14 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
483 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice collection you have there. I have never seen one of these in silver.
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@maudry - I thought it was a bat, not an owl.
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
563 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@David Graham
These are generally considered to be an owl.
On some satirical issues you will also fin an owl.

Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
563 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a coin which has been modified to glorify the General Boulanger.
Please see here for more information about this caracter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg...st_Boulanger
The quality of work is exceptional, parts of the coin have even been silver- and goldcoated.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2423 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Different century and a lot less artistic talent.
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
563 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice :)
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Different century and a lot less artistic talent.
Makes one appreciate the other examples that much more.

Still a fun find though.
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
563 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is also one example of a modification made by someone with a more "basic" talend.

Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 635Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05