Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member From The Hudson Valley

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 244Next Topic  

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  12:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone.

So here's a brief numismatic bio:

I started collecting coins c. 1975 when I was c. 10 years old. My best friend was collecting, I thought it was cool, and tagged along. No one's pocket change went without scrutiny, and hours were spent going through rolls of pennies and nickels from the bank.

Both of our fathers worked for the same company (Texaco), and they had a coin club for employees and their families. Once a year they'd have an auction. That was my first encounter with real "rare" coins.

Through my early teens I worked on a complete Lincoln cent set, and became enamored with the Barber series. Barber coins got those nice dark fields and burnished stars and bust, and they just had (and have!), that great "Old Coin Look."

I drifted away from collecting in my later teens, but picked it up again, for a while, in my 20s. Having a job meant money for nicer coins.

Then I finally completed a full regular issue Lincoln cent date & mintmark set in VF or better. There was no trumpet fanfare, the angels did not sing. Other interests drew me away...

In 1990 I sold my 1909-S VDB and my 1914-D for a down payment on an engagement ring. I'm still not even close to regretting it!

I picked up collecting again briefly in the late 90s, buying and selling a bit on eBay. But, I was still in my old "date and mintmark set" state of mind, and between the expense, the trips to the post office, and time spent following auctions, I ran out of steam. My box of coins got tucked away in the closet for another day.

Fast forward to the Covid pandemic. I was watching the price of silver creep up and started wondering how much some low grade Morgans would bring nowadays. Out came the ole box of coins.

As I've gone through my collection for the last few weeks, I realized a few things:
-I still find coins fascinating.
-It's been so long since I've looked at this stuff that I'd forgotten about at least half of it!
-I could sell at least 200 pieces of it at graysheet prices, have my roof fixed, pay a good chunk on my credit card, and still have a pretty nifty type set left over.

So, towards that end, I've been going over my grading, and nailing down varieties.

It was this that brought me to the Coin Community. I joined and posted some questions about an 1803 large cent that were quickly and thoroughly answered here.

At this point, I'll probably pursue type coin collecting, and the occasional cool looking commemorative.

I've also run across a lot of unidentified foreign coins, a few oddities and curios in my collection, (such as a 1901-O Morgan dollar with what I think is a dent from a bullet!). So I'll probably be posting questions about those soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1259 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum, mostlysilver!
Learn More...
United States
90004 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16107 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1053 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF "mostlysilver"

Quote:

In 1990 I sold my 1909-S VDB and my 1914-D for a down payment on an engagement ring.

- I don't collect silver (nor coins) but it appears as if you knew what you were doing from your long exposure to collectors, the auctions & early encounters with "rare" coins.
So you're way ahead of the curve (of most collectors who join here). Many of us also go in cycles (of active to inactive) so you're not alone. Brushing up on your grading is a terrific way to avoid over paying on future purchases. I'm sure you'll enjoy the many like minded individuals at CCF. Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

From Albany, a hearty numismatic and exonumismaniacal...

Tom
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And 'HI HO mostlysilver'

Think Lone Ranger.

I'll show myself out...
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05