Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can We Start A New Topic - Section On New Zealand Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 3,624Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  05:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New Zealand coins are my main area of focus and interest after the ubiquitous halfcrowns.

Could we please have a dedicated area to discuss these and their interest like we do with Australia, UK and Canada.

I have nearly all of them and know heaps about them. Plus I am sure I have started a mini wave of interest in them.

We could have as threads

New Zealand tokens and medals 1857 - now
New Zealand sterling coins 1933 - 1965
New Zealand decimal coins post 1967
New Zealand Banknotes
Identify and grade your New Zealand coins.

Heck we could even add Pacific countries like Fiji, Tonga and Samoa to beef it up.

I would be more than willing to run it all, is anyone else keen and what do you mods think.

Apologies if in the wrong place - not complaining - just suggesting.

I mainly want this, as I am passionate about the coins of my beautiful country and feel slighted having to merely put them in the world "Other" section. Especially since Australia gets so much attention and NZ practically none.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2514 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew you would ask this eventually. I agree the world coin section could use some fleshing out.
Learn More...
United States
89924 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New forums are added (split out from existing forums) when the number of topics makes them necessary.

The first page of the World forum goes back to the end of June. There are not enough topics, let alone NZ topics, to warrant a split right now.

Now, if you could get all your friends to join and start posting...
Learn More...
United States
89924 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What if we renamed all the Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums the Australasian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums?

The first page of the most active one (of the four) goes back to June of last year.

It would at least give the NZ coin & currency topics (and Pacific islands if included) a home with more geographic focus.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JBuck

Possibly a good idea, but many people are so ignorant of New Zealand, they do not even know its part of Australasia and that word and Oceania are rather dated as they lump us altogether. The differences between Australia and New Zealand are like those between the USA and Canada (Hint, NZ is the Canada).

Many people always confuse us with Australians and we are very different *** Political Commentary Removed by the Staff ***

How about "Australian, New Zealand and Pacific coins".
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
New forums are added (split out from existing forums) when the number of topics makes them necessary

I blame the "post a/your" topics.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7466 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a half-Kiwi myself I'd be delighted to see a separate NZ topic and I would definitely post to it!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2328 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No politics here please.
Learn More...
United States
89924 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That might work.

At the very least, it would have been in the description, but I think that is short yet effective enough.

Quote:
A good example of why a split was necessary.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20755 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I do too. Hate them. Sooooooo many own topic worthy coins are completely lost in them in less than 24 hours after they're posted.
Learn More...
United States
13582 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'v lived both places and am married to an Auzzie
I am good with it.

In fact you can blame me for having the Australian coins split out.
rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20755 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Done.

I also went through the World coin forums directly in the DB and moved topics with Zealand in the title. Feel free to sue the Send note to staff link to get any others moved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
New forums are added (split out from existing forums) when the number of topics makes them necessary.

The first page of the World forum goes back to the end of June. There are not enough topics, let alone NZ topics, to warrant a split right now.

Now, if you could get all your friends to join and start posting...

I've been mulling this over and it does not seem a like a policy that would encourage growth. Wouldn't making more dedicated places encourage more diverse posting? It would at least give people a place to post other than the "post your" topics which can't be easily searched. I can't imagine a mostly empty forum would take up much space.

Have you seen an increase in the posting of Australian coins since you created the new section?
Edited by Gincoin43
08/09/2020 01:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3442 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately the long history of message boards (not just here, going back to BIX and CompuServe in the 80s) is the more places you offer people to put something, the less likely people are to get it right and the more sections that become ghost towns because people only post in the active section.

There's a reason the NGC board moved everything into just two sections (which are both ghost towns, but that's a different discussion)
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big thank you to the moderators and owners who have made these changes and I have started the first two topics already, a coins acquisitions thread and another one explaining NZ Predecimal coins, later ones will deal with Decimal coins.

Come one, come all to the Kiwi coins ball!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 3,624Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05