Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968-D Lincoln Penny "Odd" 8

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 545Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  3:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Is the "8" in the date just a die chip? (Sorry, but this is the best photo I can do.) (photo)

Thanks.

Bill

Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing a die chip, but the images could be better in order to verify this
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50541 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you enlarge this pic, please.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35578 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better pics,but looks like PMD. Coinfrog,you are coming up on a milestone...contest time?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46211 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like vending machine damage that flattened the top of the '8'. Thus flattened rather than a fill from a wearing post on that digit.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. Here is a closeup--still a touch blurry--sorry.

Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
1286 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could we have pictures of the whole coin?
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK-Here's the full coin. (photos)

Tks again.

Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I now think that this is PMD as mentioned before
Pillar of the Community
United States
3572 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too think it's post mint damage, but honestly, it's difficult to tell from your small photos. Maybe if you told us what/how you photograph with, we could help you with suggestions.
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I just use my iphone in the macro mode. I borrowed a high-end Nikon from a relative, but I couldn't get the lighting right.

Best,

Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
1286 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had some thoughts about it being a DDO. It looks like the last T in trust might have a split but the pictures are too blurry.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. One more try.

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46211 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you note on the motto, you can see the same damage like a vending machine would leave when the coins are damaged. (Gumball)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46211 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Added information to image.
Richard S. Cooper

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 545Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05