Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1990 Lincoln Cent Odd Abrasion / Polishing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 398Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  01:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this in a roll today and found it interesting. At first glance I assumed it was a typical strike thru grease...but looking closer it appears to be missing devices due to harsh abrasion/polishing. I'm not sure ive seen it this extensive before. What is throwing me off is the identical pattern of the marks on the left and right of the obverse. They almost mirror each other. I cant see it being damage or coincidental.......Unless....(note4)

Notes.
1.Lack of any damage on the rim all the way around.
2.Genuine weaknesses on 0
3. No distortion on surrounding devices
4. Possibly covering memorial clashing?
Odd and undetermined. Get 2nd opinion

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35465 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has the look of a greaser.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1603 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This appears to be a nice example of a weak strike.

I assume the "harsh abrasion/polishing" marks you are referring to are the parallel lines obverse and reverse? These are "Planchet striations".
See this link for info. (Or see the article in CONECA's Errorscopes magazine from July 2020.)
http://goccf.com/t/73126

They are usually most visible where the deepest part of the die is (the highest points of the coin design) but when there is a weak or tilted strike they can appear around the perimeter or towards one side.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35465 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has full rims,a weak strike would not have full rims.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2283 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grease or oil on the die. The lines are roller lines left over from the planchet.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a greaser would distort,this is not a greaser with all due respect. The harsh polishing lines are quite evident here,does no one agree?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16908 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. It appears to me to be a grease filled die strike on a planchet that had heavy striations. One good clue is the lines are on both obv and reverse and are running in the same direction on both sides. Heavy die abrasion would be random not the same linear direction on both dies.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@conder ive asked around and everyone has a diff opinion. The most reliable source says weak strike,you guys say greaser,and the fb group agrees with my assumption. Owell who knows. Conder the grease would have been smooth on the surface and not even show the striations imo...ive got tons of them
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1603 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this is cut and dry to most but this is an odd one since the planchet striations are still visible on both surfaces, even though somewhat erratic in their position/consistency.

I do agree it shows signs of a weak strike (multiple visible striations) as well as being struck through grease (weak 0 compared to the 199).
Maybe it's an example of an improperly rolled ("lumpy") planchet as well?

The rims seem to have the appearance of a protorim (@VDB) and being struck by the die (@TRUST), so maybe the die was tilted.

This coin exhibits the striations on the highest parts of the design as well as the field close to the rim. It has been my experience that planchet striations usually are not visible in the areas being struck through grease. The grease tends to act like the die and obliterate them. The "splotchy" appearance of the striations on this one is odd.
(Maybe time for a Mike D. intervention?)

[Anyone else like Right Twix and Left Twix. ]
Edited by Petespockets55
08/15/2020 04:39 am
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be a thin planchet with striations. Not enough material to get a full relief strike?
Edited by Waynoah83
08/15/2020 02:26 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35465 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it time for Mike?
John1
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@way could be. Chuck over at copper coins suggested weak strike,ill go with that
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 398Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05