Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman? Coin Needing Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 336Next Topic  

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! I'm completely out of my element with ancient coins. I've been looking through pictures of obverses & reverses till I'm bleary-eyed with no luck identifying this.

Thanks for any help.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As of Commodus
Valued Member
Germany
74 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I suggest Commodus sestertius w/ Libertas standing as a possibility? Adding the weight would help
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, if this is heavy, and it does look thick, I should have said sestertius as well.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight of this coin is 15.4g.

It is 27mm x 29 mm across, and about 2.6mm thick.

Thanks for your help!
Valued Member
Germany
74 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds like either an exremely heavy as or a lightweight sestertius with a copperish look struck on an extremely thin flan

(It is not uncommon for sestertii from that era however, to vary wildly in weights and flan sizes)

Maybe AE Sestertius, RIC 1588 to 1590 (M.Aurelius) ?
Here an example of one of these types:

What do you think?
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the devices do look similar.

I've found a few images of sestertii online that also nearly matched mine, (much better condition, though).

Is it unrealistic to expect to find an image of another coin struck with the same die pair as mine?

Is there a way to tell for sure what the denomination is?

Thanks again for your help.

Valued Member
Germany
74 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it unrealistic to expect to find an image of another coin struck with the same die pair as mine?

Not unrealistic at all to try! But it is also possible you may never find them, depending on the coin. For this particular type, I honestly don't know how hard can it be. Also, keep in mind that you can probably find only one die match and not necessarily both obverse and reverse matching at once.

Quote:
Is there a way to tell for sure what the denomination is?

Usually coin measurements are enough, generally speaking of course. Flan size is by far the most notorious way to tell for well patinated coins, where asses and sestertii coexisted with similar designs.
Also, an as from this era will be made of copper whereas a contemporary sestertius should be made of an alloy identical to bronze. If by any chance some of the bare metal can be seen (As in a scratch, for instance) beneath the patina, that's another way to tell.
This coin looks copperish, but from the pictures I am not able to tell if that's just how the patina looks.
Edited by DirtyHarry
08/14/2020 01:49 am
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mostlysilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly looks like copper to me, and there really aren't any scratches down to bare metal.
Oh well, I suppose I can live with a little mystery!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05