Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Would You Sell A Complete 5 Cent Silver Set?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 461Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
964 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
If you were in a position to sell a complete set of 5 cent silver nickels, including the 1921 in VG 10 and many scarce varieties?
would you:
A sell it as a complete set with individual
descriptions and grades?
B sell the coins as individual coins with descriptions
and grades (your grades)
C give the set to an Auctioneer.
D advertise the set for sale on Canadian Coin News?
E advertise it on this Forum?
F would you have all coins graded before selling?

Poll Choices
 A
 B
 C
 D
 E
 F

Edited by 47P7
08/12/2020 10:44 pm
Valued Member
Canada
343 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've often wondered this. For example, I have all three of the 1873 Newfoundland 5 cents (along with most of the other key dates in 5c, 10c and 20c). I've wondered if it would make sense to sell individual years as groups. As in, sell the three 1873s together? Argument being that they're all pretty scarce and a motivated collector might jump at the opportunity to get all three.

I have no plans to sell any of this stuff at this point but this is one thing that's occurred to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1064 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
B was the closest for me. Assuming time was not a factor. I would post the individual coins somewhere that lists for to start, ro see if you get any bites, if that fails send the $1000+ coin to an auction house, put the others up on eBay as a buy it now, then after a while drop price. Following that would bundle lower value stuff. Finally sell at rock bottom bidding until gone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10878 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  02:26 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the time and assuming the coins are high enough grade, selling each individually would allow the most interest overall because many collectors may be looking for only one or two coins. Selling an entire set together usually means losing money.

I would at least sell the most valuable coins, like the 1921, individually and then lump the rest together if time constrained.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35494 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would let Heritage Auction or Great Collections sell it as a set.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3135 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would combine C, D, & E. Like Heritage or some similar auction, after well advertising it on this and other forums, and the CCN. The set may go a person who is not really a collector interested in this denomination, but rather someone with a thick wallet and no desire to look further. You probably will get more selling by the piece, but it will take a long time and hours of effort to get rid of everything.
Valued Member
Canada
489 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will probably get more for them selling individually or at least the key dates individually. That being said, it would take a lot of time and effort to do it yourself on eBay. You may want to contact a reputable auction company and see what they recommend. You can go with one of them and let them do the advertising and selling. You just get to collect the cheque afterwards. It also may be worth sending the more valuable coins to get professionally graded (i.e. $200+). Buyers will usually bid higher than if you were just to put your own grade on them.
Learn More...
Canada
9250 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The sum of the pieces is greater than the whole. If you sell as a lot, you'll end up with a price based on the 1921 and a few other dates, and will not get value out of the rest. Why do you think dealers break up sets and sell the key dates separately? That is how they make money on numismatic stuff.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1594 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The amount of work to sell these on eBay is not that high. I am guessing that you have maybe 70 coins? It should only take you a couple of hours to lis them (assuming you are being pretty careful with your listings) and then some time to send them out as they sell. You can always throw in the towel if you don't get your prices and try an auction house after.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05