Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bicentennial Silver Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 315Next Topic  

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  5:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismagic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, a bit late to this 2015 post, but I have a related question on the particular set mentioned in the original post. The Bicentennial Silver Uncirculated (Business Strike) Set was sold in both a red envelope and a white (Independence Hall in Winter) envelope. I have both types and have enclosed a pic showing the red one on top and the white one below it.

Can anyone explain why the same set came in two different envelopes? Was one sold in 1975 and the other in 1976? I did try some brief research elsewhere, but I gave up and figured I would ask here. Thanks for any input.

Tom
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16911 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen that envelope before, possibly from sets being sold at some tourist location. There is another envelope as well, some apparently very few, came in a white envelope of the same style as the red one. I don't know the reason for the white envelope either.

All the coins were struck in 1975 so I would have expected all of the packaging to have been made at the same time as well. especially since the legislation didn't just authorize the 15 million coins to be made, it REQUIRED them to all be struck by the end of the year. Sales were not what they expected so toward the end of the year they had to strike off millions of coins that they had no use for. The sets remained on sale until some time in 1982 when they finally ended sales and melted down the remainders. Apparently they didn't keep good track of sales and/or melting because even today the mintage figures listed in the RedBook are "approximate" not actual. They represent production not sales.
Gary Schmidt
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismagic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply!
Learn More...
United States
89942 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19575 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting for sure. Keep them both anyway.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the red envelope set, got them when I was 15 years old.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4636 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US Bicentennial Silver Uncirculated Set in the red envelope with white lettering was the standard packaging for the three-piece coin set.

In October 1976, the Mint introduced new "gift packaging" for the three-piece set in an effort to mark the year-end holidays and the end of the US bicentennial year (and, of course, to boost sales of the set). The new package was a white envelope with crimson (red) lettering and a view of Independence Hall in Philadelphia. The packaging was used by the Mint for orders received between October 1 and December 31, 1976. As the ordering period for the coin set in standard red envelope packaging was much longer, the red envelope sets are more commonly encountered vs. the white envelope sets. The price for the set (either package) in 1976 was $9.00.

Quote:
There is another envelope as well, some apparently very few, came in a white envelope of the same style as the red one.

I haven't seen such an envelope from the US Mint - I'd enjoy seeing one. There was a plain white envelope with lettering the Mint used in 1975 and 1976 for the 12-coin P and D US Mint Uncirculated Set which included the three bicentennial coins as well as the one cent, five cents and ten cent coins, but the coins in those sets were struck on base metal planchets, not 40% silver ones.

Quote:
All the coins were struck in 1975.

This is not accurate. The Mint struck the silver bicentennial coins in 1975 and 1976; its last mintage of the 40% silver coins took place in June 1976.

Quote:
... the legislation didn't just authorize the 15 million coins to be made, it REQUIRED them to all be struck by the end of the year.

The legislation for the bicentennial coins specified 45 million silver-clad coins were to be struck. The legislation included a provision that allowed the Secretary of the Treasury to strike an additional 15 million silver-clad coins if the public demand for them merited. Such demand did not materialize and the Mint struck 45 million coins (15 million of each denomination; 11 million uncirculated and 4 million proof). Also, the legislation specified the issue period for the coins to be July 4, 1975 to January 1, 1977.

Edited to correct grammar.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/14/2020 10:16 am
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismagic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you commems for the detailed information. That was exactly what I was looking for and you delivered. Much appreciated.

Tom
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 315Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05