Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The 12 Roman DII Consentes.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 275Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1965 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 12 Dii Consentes were the twelve most important Roman deities 6 gods and 6 goddesses. Their gilt statues stood in the Roman Forum and Livy, the Roman historian, arranged them into 6 male/female pairs.
Jupiter-Juno
Mars-Venus
Neptune-Minerva
Apollo-Diana
Vulcan-Vesta
Mercury-Ceres
Here's the first couple..Please feel free to post your Jupiter or Juno coins, we'd love to see them!
JUPITER...Licinius I...RIC#8..Jupiter standing left, holding victory and sceptre, eagle at foot with wreath in its beak,gamma to right.
JUNO...Julia Mamaea..RIC#343..Juno standing slightly left, holding patera and scepter; to left, peacock standing left.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5191 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat thread idea, Paul. That follis is excellent. This calls for the popcorn guy:

Valued Member
Germany
74 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting topic! I'm missing Juno in my collection
Palouche, those are beautiful pieces!
Do you recall any example where a divine couple is depicted together on the same coin?
Learn More...
United States
23210 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread, lovely coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1965 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ron

Quote:
Neat thread idea, Paul. That follis is excellent. This calls for the popcorn guy:

Thanks Bob.....With sugar or salt?...Be careful now!...

Quote:
Do you recall any example where a divine couple is depicted together on the same coin?

Good question!....I do know that Zeus and Hera have conjoined portrait coins in silver (Woooh expensive!!) and for the more budget buyer such as myself in bronze....Here's a nice coin depicting Zeus and Juno...
I must admit 'I DO' like this coin!...
Obverse: Bust of Jupiter right; S.C behind
Reverse: Juno Sospita advancing right with shield, spear aloft and serpent before; L.PROCILI.F behind
Edited by Palouche
08/13/2020 7:26 pm
Valued Member
Germany
74 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I must admit 'I DO' like this coin!...

I can see why
Absolutely beautiful coin!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
346 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As has been already said, it's a great idea for a new thread Paul.

What a great start, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this series.

Jim
Learn More...
United States
17069 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice idea for a thread. I don't have anything to contribute, but I'm really looking forward to watching it progress!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05