Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions About Varieties And Validation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 224Next Topic  
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Copest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings,

I wont bore you with pictures today, just some honest questions that I would like clarified if possible.

Q 1. Are Die Markers a All or none principle?

Q 2. PCGS states it will use Cherrypicker's Guide for acceptable varieties. Ok so what do they use to validate? Cherrypickers or Wexler's or Coppercoins or Variety vista? google search maybe? or all the above?

Q 3. Can Die stages cause inconsistency or slight variations with these Hallmark Die markers.

one last question. I am trying to understand more on how varieties are born, any recommendations on books or sites pertaining to number of dies used per year and dates modified/updated and usage.

thanks C

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stneCowT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Following
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35494 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good site to learn from http://www.error-ref.com/doubled-dies/
First you find the error or variety and then match die markers. Hope that helps some.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46177 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Q 1. Are Die Markers a All or none principle?
Die markers are only used for a certain attributed die. These are like finger prints that can be helped to identify mostly die states. Die markers happen on the the different die states, and if you are using die scratches, the can be there or be gone. The die scratches in the centers of the fields flatten quickly. Die scratches near devices can remain a lot longer. Die scratches inside of devices last the longest on the die. They often can be seen through many different times the die is polished. But without the variety, a die marker means nothing. So just like finger prints can look alike, only an exact match is useful. (The reason the images are better than a description)
Q 2. PCGS states it will use Cherrypicker's Guide for acceptable varieties. Ok so what do they use to validate? Cherrypickers or Wexler's or Coppercoins or Variety vista? google search maybe? or all the above?
They list them many ways, but they prefer the FS#s. But they charge extra for what ever service you request. ANACs will grade from other sources. I would never slab a coin if it were worth less than $150. The services are nice, but most collectors will not pay extra for the graded coin. They use it for a guide for pricing from other publications for price. But the prices vary so much that most of the time you may think it is a certain grade, but it is not. To me it just not worth it to spend several times for the service, when the coin is worth a lot less than the cost of the 3rd party grading. ID: Grading from PCGS can cost as much as $50. To have a coin worth $8 would be a waste to spend that much money to only get back $8 (Loss of -$42 just for the service)

Q 3. Can Die stages cause inconsistency or slight variations with these Hallmark Die markers.
Die stages/states will be different as the dies ages. Some die varieties will be fresher in earlier die states and weaker in later die states.

Weaker on later die states loose 25% of their value.

Some RPMs look nicer in the early die states and some can look stronger on later die states.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/13/2020 6:24 pm
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Copest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John and Coop for your responses, I appreciate the help.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 224Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05