Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1891 CC Morgan VAM3 Spitting Eagle...grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 627Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
To submit or not to submit. That is my question. Any guesses on grade? Thanks!

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The spitting Eagle is my favorite VAM and I don't have one LOL.

Depending on what you paid for it, and what your ultimate purpose is (Keeping/Flipping) come into play.

The picture is a bit flat, doesn't show any luster, but pictures are that way.

Bottom line if it were going into my permanent collection, Id grade it.

If not then you have to consider the ROI (Return on Investment)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have the coin in hand. Actually wanted some opinions before I made the plunge. My concerns were exactly the same, it's missing all luster. Will try to get some more pictures.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What would be a descent price to pay for this VAM in this condition?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, what is your ultimate goal? To keep it or flip it? If its purely flip, I wouldn't buy it without better pictures. Keep in mind the guy that has it probably would have graded it if it could bring a better price by doing so.

As to your last question, impossible to tell without better Pics.

Edited by farrider11
08/14/2020 8:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I would have to keep this one. It's a great looking coin and one of the boldest spitting eagles I've seen as far as the die chip goes it's very large. I like it, I would keep it I believe. I've made some money recently flipping a few and could afford to add one to my collection. Thanks.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I remember why I don't have one LOL, I looked up some on EBay, they are bit pricey, I decided I didn't need one that bad lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50474 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeit. Date logo is dead wrong.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Frog knows, I'm not that intimate with fakes, which is why I run things through here that are raw, If Coinfrog has issues with it, it does. I just play with these guys with TPG graded stuff, the raw stuff, pay them some attention.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really Coinfrog? I looked hard at the MM and the date. What do you see?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a real PCGS MS 63 spitting eagle .... a learning moment, I love these guys :)

Look at the spacing between the 18 and 91, thats all I can see. After looking more, the spacing between all the numbers is off, maybe my bad eyes lol

Edited by farrider11
08/14/2020 10:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50474 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Date on the OP's coin appears thin and pointy to me, not a characteristic bold US MM. Just an instinctive response - I may well be wrong, let the experts take over.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/14/2020 10:29 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert, but if they offer a free return and have a decent reputation, grab it, and stick a magnet to it and get a weight, end of question, magnet and weight tells no lies...... but the spacing on the date seems off to me, after date was brought into question.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah the date is now a concern, but the MM even has the doubling on the top of the first C. Their are die markers next to the eagles leg, a gouge I think and the polish lines are even where they're supposed to be. I may take a chance. And as far as fakes go, I've got an 82 and an 89 CC that aren't magnetic, weigh right but are definitely fake.... Just saying they're getting good in China...
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WeBeRolling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were the markers I was talking about...
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno bro, it's a crap shoot, if it were me and the price was right, AND they offered free returns, Id take a shot to get it in hand.

The spit is really defined.
Edited by farrider11
08/14/2020 11:09 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 627Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05