Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Identify This Coin? (Id: 17th Century Spain 8 Maravedis)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 250Next Topic  

Australia
1 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lorclis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,

It looks like an ancient Spanish coin. Would someone know what kind of coin this is and it's approximate circa and material? Also, does anyone know what the CW means?

Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a Philip iv 8 maravedis. The CW is probably MD, but my first impression is this coin is not authentic.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35576 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3744 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a link to the coin mentioned by @gincoin (I think). https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces40685.html
It should weigh about 4.5 g, and should be made of copper. @gincoin may have concerns about authenticity because of the appearance of your coin, which doesn't look much like copper in the photo.

I think the details look pretty good compared to the catalog image. As gincoin says, MD would be Madrid mint, and if you rotate your second photo 180 degrees, I think you can see the first two digits of the date near the corner of the shield.
If you can get a weight, it would be helpful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
may have concerns about authenticity because of the appearance of your coin, which doesn't look much like copper in the photo

You ever look at a coin and think, that doesn't seem quite right? I can't put my finger on why though. A weight would help as you said, and my fears my be unfounded.
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
Valued Member
Spain
118 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys, but weight from spanish maravedis from XVII century can vary a lot, weight is not conclussive. This one has been cleaned on a quite aggresive way, maybe that is the reason for its color.

I'm a collector of Spanish copper coins, and I can't see nothing which drive me think it is a fake. There is also a bunch of contemporary counterfeits, same interest for me than authentic ones, but I would bet your coin is authentic.

A VIII maravedís, Felipe III or Felipe IV, Madrid mint, circa 1618-1626 (Felipe III 1618-1620, Felipe IV 1621-1626)

Regards
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05