Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help ID Richard III Coin, I Uploaded Pictures

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 775Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  7:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pantera202 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was told this is a Richard iii coin, I'm not sure. Does anyone know if it is or what any of the Mark's mean? Thanks

Edited by Hogarth
09/05/2020 2:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
17462 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pant, I'll move this over to the Great Britain coin subforum in a minute, but it looks to me like the rev has N DON, which means this coin was struck in London. I'm having a harder time with the letters on the obv.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
91197 Posts
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pantera202 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome, I've been collecting for a while now and its exciting to be here. Think the Richard iii coins have a sun and rose but that's all I know. I'm trying to figure out the letters on the front of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
515 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't find any Richard III small silver with trefoils in the reverse quarters.
Check these links, you may find a match for your coin. Spence is correct, definitely struck in London.

http://www.psdetecting.com/Inscriptions.html

http://www.bajr.org/BAJRGuides/37.%...7Coins_I.pdf
Edited by Hogarth
08/24/2020 11:34 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
181 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking here http://www.historiccoinage.com/shop...ichard%20III it looks as though it could be a match?

I personally think it matches the bottom left half penny portrait best, but that's purely speculation and I'm by no means an expert.
Edited by Collector28
08/24/2020 1:32 pm
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pantera202 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info! Are the portraits on these coins different for each king? I always thought they looked the same but I have no idea.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
515 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't think trying to match an almost non existent portrait to a known Richard III is the best course of action here. The reverse of P's coin clearly has trefoils in each of the reverse quarters. Surely this would be the most sensible starting point.
P, allowing for the missing portion, what is the diameter of your coin?
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pantera202 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a pic of the dimension
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pantera202 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I think its 1.25cm or 12.5mm. Also I found this link about the different Richard iii coins and what's on them. Hope this helps some.

http://www.numsoc.net/richardiii.html
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pantera202 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The letters next to the portrait are ANGL which is a Richard ii coin. I paid $80 for it, is that too much for a coin in this bad of a condition?

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
515 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If you were happy to pay $80 then that's what it's worth to you.
To be honest, I wouldn't want it.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pantera202 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Hogarth, that's what I needed to hear, bought it on Ebay and can still return it. Just so I know why wouldn't you want it? It's just in that bad of condition? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
515 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, most definitely, it's too far gone, and there being a large chunk missing too?
You could find a much nicer addition to your collection for $80.
Edited by Hogarth
09/05/2020 2:35 pm
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pantera202 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Hogarth, I will return this coin. I don't know much about English medieval coins. What is a good rare king I should start collecting? Thanks any info helps! :)
Learn More...
United States
23286 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There really isn't enough detail to say with any certainty that it is Richard though what remains of the bust detail does look a bit like it might be. The only thing for sure is that it is from the London mint. Might be a 1/2 penny Spink 2171.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 775Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05