Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 Penny Circle Anomaly?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,913Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  12:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Two50twostroke to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know what you thought... when the title said circle you though "ooh here we go again" but this time your wrong, it really is a circle on Abe's face. I have done a ton of research online to find something like it to no avail. My question is what caused this and what is it called. It is neat and I have not seen one like it. It is raised and not indented technically extra metal. I am glad it is in good condition and red. thanks everyone for looking

Let me know if you need better pics (I know one is behind plastic but the others are not)
Edited by Two50twostroke
08/29/2020 06:35 am
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Two50twostroke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OOh dang it looks like a one did not show I thought I took more than what was on my computer. I will redo a couple more or see if I can find the ones I had. Bear with me at least you can see it in the two and y'all say in the directions to see the reverse so I posted it as well. I just want to show it a bit more clear.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5022 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit confused by your explanation?

One coin or two? (if it's two, please one coin per thread)

To me the one photo that shows a circle (the only one), it's post mint damage. How the circle was formed, I haven't a clue, but it did not leave the mint looking that way. A clash with something? If you photographed these through a 2x2, please remove the coin first. Thanks.

again
to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37740 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Two50twostroke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is one coin just one of my pictures didn't turn out how I wanted. Just tried to explain it. I know the one coin rule well.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Two50twostroke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is as close as I can get diagonal. I will remove the error Pic.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Two50twostroke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
merclover

I fixed it thank you for the guidance.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37740 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two50twostroke,
Did you go to the link I posted? It is the same coin as yours.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of them ,put it off as PMD
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37740 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not PMD. Read the link I posted.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48854 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They call these UFO's but I feel they should be called "Crop Circles"? LOL
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2694 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

These are interesting in that no one seems to know what causes the error. I would love to find one in this condition. Put it in a 2x2 to keep it safe. As coop said, nice "Crop Circle" / UFO!
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Two50twostroke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gstyTcVj7hs

this video of blue ridge silver hound from YouTube explains the circle, just skip to the last coin.
Edited by Two50twostroke
09/01/2020 1:39 pm
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Two50twostroke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yokozuna,
definitely cool regardless if it's valuable or not. I got plenty of coins that are cool but only worth face value. Like this one:

not sure the story on it, but it looks like a wreck.
I've noticed that if a coin has no numismatic value people in the community don't want to see it nor care to give a opinion on how it happened. I am not driven by monetary value. I personally enjoy the history of how and why regardless of value. I also believe that it's possible even if the odds are really bad. glass is half full for me. I understand it probably didn't happen at the mint (on any coin) but it's possible, just unlikely, but, still possible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5022 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post additional coins in a thread of their own. Thanks.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those tiny circles are interesting. I just found one on a 1990 Lincoln cent.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,913Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05