Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1987 Essai 100 Francs: Marquis DE LA Fayette

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2020  11:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NGC - Coin of the Day: On Sept 6, 1757, the Marquis de La Fayette (known to Americans as Lafayette) was born. The French aristocrat fought for America's freedom in the Revolutionary War. When he returned to France, he was a key figure in the French Revolution as well. He's on this 1987 Essai 100 Francs.

Period: Fifth Republic (1958-date)
Type: Circulating commemorative coin
Year: 1987
Value: 100 Francs (100 FRF)
Currency: New franc (1960-2001)
Composition: 90% Silver
Weight: 15 grams
Diameter: 31 mm
Thickness: 2.20 mm
Orientation: Coin alignment

Obverse: Bust left. Lettering: GÉNÉRAL LA FAYETTE, D'AP B. DUVIVIER, RÉPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE ·
Engraver: Pierre-Benjamin Duvivier
Reverse: Liberty cap over inscription above denomination, date below. Lettering: LIBERTÉ, ÉGALITÉ, FRATERNITÉ, 100F, 19 87 DURAND-MEGRET.
Engraver: Michel Durand-Megret
Edge: Smooth
Check out this coin on ebay.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dajones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is an "essai" coin? I see 100 francs in circulating, non-circulating, proof, and "essai" or "essay," often translated as "pattern," but I don't really know what the means in this case.

I love these things: Oftentimes the piedforts can be had for a steal
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dajones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, well, a little research led me to an answer, sort of. the "essai" coins say... "essai" to the right of the bust.

But still, one assumes it's more than an "artificial" rarity, no? I mean, is it like and FDC or something?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
556 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An essai coin is a pattern coin or test coin, made either in the same material as the intended circulating coin, or in a different material. This particular essai is made in 900/1000 silver just like the later issued circulating coin. The essai had a mintage of 1,850, the circulating coin (which looks exactly the same apart from the word ESSAI) a mintage of about 4,800,000.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dajones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you: I'm addicted to these things (1986-89)
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05