Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Gettysburg For Your Consideration

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  9:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Commens are difficult to grade. I would like to hear what the experts here would grade this Gettysburg. This has always been one of if not my favorite classic commemorative.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51188 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks virtually flawless in these pics. I'll say MS-67.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4697 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin! Thanks for sharing!

My eyes see a few too many marks on the face and hat of the Union soldier on the obverse to grade it beyond an MS-66 (maybe even MS-65 if the grader is very picky). There are also a few lines on the reverse that merit closer inspection, but I can't do it from a photograph with the lighting used.

The Gettysburg is one of the coins in the classic commemorative series that can often be found nice/very nice - I think you've found one!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2458 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not getting a feel for the coin, because of the lighting
Pillar of the Community
United States
2914 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...because of the lighting

Because of a similar theme in this thread I'd like to throw in my own Gettysburg example that I took with a USB camera way back in 2013 when Apple's iPhone 4S boasted a mere 8 megapixels.

At that time I truly did not see much difference between my now-obsolete USB and the aforementioned iPhone. I tried to accentuate the minute dings by eliminating the diffuse lighting and lowering the incident angle of lighting source.

My older thread below is only for reference but I'd like the viewers to make any references to it in this particular thread when giving grading opinions on my commem. I'd like to have a different group of opinions, anyway, compared to those expressed back in 2013.

http://goccf.com/t/144889&SearchTerms=gettysburg

Ultimately, my purpose is not to steal this thread but to address the lighting issue for these type of high end Ag coins. By soliciting new grading opinions on either coin new courses of action, if worthwhile, could serve to vary psuman08's process in pursuit of the best possible realistic portrayal of his/her patina.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4697 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think either of your lighting options is conducive to accurate grading. The second set of images is particularly dark (at least to my eyes) and gives the coin a dull appearance. I'm hesitant to assign it any grade beyond "Uncirculated."

What kind of brilliance / luster does the coin have? Does it cartwheel over the surfaces when the coin is rotated in hand?

Gettysburg coins can come very nice, but I can't tell where your example falls on the spectrum.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2914 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...kind of brilliance / luster does the coin have?

Just to streamline the reading of this thread, I'll post my two new retakes as of 9/23/20 (with an iPhone 6S).

Maybe a more accurate grade can now materialize:

Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not too good at grading photos. What I do see appears cleaned with high point friction on the cheeks and marks in the focal shield areas.Either the photo is too bright or the coin has been dipped possibly more than once. Great design in any grade although I've always thought the visages inaccurate ; those guys are far older than the average combatant of that war.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2914 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Does it cartwheel over the surfaces when the coin is rotated in hand?

Yes.

Also, I'd hoped that my new shots would show off the brilliance and luster.

Any new guesses on a modified numeric grade for my example compared to 2013's shots?
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05