Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2003 Penny Question About Weight

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 263Next Topic  

Czech Republic
5 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2020  3:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skladnik to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. Please, give me an advice. I have one penny of 2003, which weighs exactly 3.7995 grams, which is 6.73% more than the optimal coin weighing 3.56 grams. That's a pretty big deviation from tolerance, isn't it? Please do not know what value this coin could have?
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
Czech Republic
5 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skladnik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck: thanks :-)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't responded to this query before because I feel a bit short of information. Could you post pictures of the coin? I don't know of any reason why a Royal Mint coin should be so far off specification and maybe the pictures will give some clue.
Czech Republic
5 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skladnik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. Thanks. Here are the pictures

Czech Republic
5 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skladnik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, so I can't explain the weight difference. How does the thickness compare with a normal one? (Pictures side by side would be best.) Have you checked the calibration of the scales?

If all these check out, it is an anomaly. Whether it is worth more than usual is debatable - British collectors are not as much into "error" coins as the Americans, particularly when it is an error in the minting process rather than in the dies used. On top of that you have to persuade potential buyers that this is a significant error, which may be tricky when all you have to show is the weight. It may be the only way you can discover the value is to list it on Ebay at auction with all the information and pictures you can and see where it ends up. My guess is the best you may get is a few pounds.
Czech Republic
5 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skladnik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice. Weighing was performed on three different scales. All reported about 3.8 grams. The most accurate (used in the laboratory) weighed 3.7995 grams. Here is a picture of the thickness. On the left is a heavy coin.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK - thanks for that. There probably is a slight difference in thickness but difficult to see with the naked eye. I suspectit was struck on an incorrectly prepared sheet of metal, so there are probably more from the same batch.
So we have to go back to the previous advice - it may be worth more than face value if you can find an error collector keen enough on it. Probably the only way is auction on Ebay, but I would not hold out much hope of a big premium!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 263Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05