Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Detection: 1886-S Morgan Dollar With An Added Mintmark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 347Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NGC - Beware: The alteration on this coin was done in one of the most convincing ways known.

Read More: Counterfeit Detection Series

In 1886, nearly 20 million Morgan dollars were struck at the Philadelphia Mint. On the other coast, the San Francisco Mint struck only 750,000 the same year. Of course, this difference in mintage means that the San Francisco dollars are much more valuable today.

NGC graders recently saw this purported 1886-S Morgan dollar, which appears to be a low Mint State example worth upward of $400 to $500. Unfortunately for the dealer who submitted this piece, this coin has an added mintmark.

At first glance, nothing really seems amiss from the obverse or reverse of this coin. The only issue that a Morgan collector may notice is the luster on this piece is softer than a normal San Francisco example, which more often is seen with stronger, more defined luster bands. However, even a close look at the mintmark does not show anything that suspicious. If it had been added, it would usually show more evidence of a seam or discoloration around the mintmark.

Read the Entire Article
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3602 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51301 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great link, thanks.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thank you very helpful.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14176 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incredible , Glad I never was one for Morgan's . Great info though .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2420 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, that would have been a tough one to catch.
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW - that is scary.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1139 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, interesting read!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3132 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i am a skeptic here,, it would take so much time to even try to fake a mint mark this way.. Just think about the tiny space available to work with, for all the effort it would be easier to make a better spark erosion die, to fake the coin..

Just my opinion of course, but I have seen this discussion before, and I can't see anyone taking this amount of time to fake a mint mark, for a couple of 100 $$
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6862 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread - I would never have identified it a counterfeit
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 347Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05