Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1871 Half Dime! Worth It?!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 568Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  1:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, It's me again with ONE LAST post like this. As I've mentioned before, I've been getting into key date coins AND trying to fill in a type set. That being said, I don't have a lot of knowledge as to how to go about doing this in the most efficient way.

I got this half dime for $20. Was this a fair price? I see it has some wear and damage (probably even cleaned to my disappointment) but these seem hard to find or I'm just not looking hard enough. Whichever the case, I was wondering what all of you thought!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1139 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd put this at VG, maybe F Details. Price seems about right, maybe a bit high (splitting hairs).

Pretty easy date to find, definitely difficult to find a nice original example though.
Edited by Ty2020b
09/15/2020 3:49 pm
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51301 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse may have been cleaned. Can you enlarge these pics for us?
Edited by Coinfrog
09/15/2020 4:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses! I originally got it for 15 but shipping was 5 >:( Not sure if I scored with this coin but it is a half dime, a type I do not own... so I guess ill take it?! And the rim toning definitely caught my eye initially :D

I have attached the enlarged (I think they are) pictures below:

Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Original price was probably a good deal, and shipping put it right about where it should be. Best deal in the world though if you're happy with adding it to your collection!

Numismedia Fair Market Values is a great resource for coin prices. I ALWAYS check it before I buy.

For your half dime - http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinp...proof=&plus=

Pillar of the Community
United States
932 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
assuming it's not bent, seems good
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16977 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be worth that to me if I was buying it, possibly even a little more.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19681 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin and price is OK.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies and reassurance! I am happy with my purchase, especially considering I do not have a half dime in my collection. I await the coins arrival :D

And thank you for that site!! I've always used NGC's site for prices but its just so unclear with their price guides and previous auction prices.
CCF Advertiser
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems fair to be retail wise. Condition it isn't the most pq but certainly not bad and market acceptable.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin came in not too long ago and I am happy I got it! First circulated-toner AND first half dime in my collection! :D

Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It won't let me attach another photo :/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51301 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very decent buy for the price.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wooooooo!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3602 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be very happy with that purchase.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05