Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gatewest Coins, Mb What Has Been Your Experience Lately?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 398Next Topic  
Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  8:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jergar85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've purchased a number of items over the last 3 years from Gatewest coin. I exclusively have purchased using their online eBay store. Although in the beginning I always received fast prompt and courteous service as of late it has changed in a dramatic way.

From long shipping delays to additional invoicing due to incorrectly billing in the eBay listing to even being harassed and called a bully by the in store Manager because I questioned them on their service and billing policies. I have lost confidence in this apparent reputable coin and gold dealer.

I am wondering if I am alone in my experiences or if other people have had similar experiences.

I also am looking for recommendations of another dealer I can give my business too.

I appreciate all your time!
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Oh, your not the only one. I have not been physically in the store in 3 years, and I have not purchased anything from them in 4 years. Please check out the google reviews.

http://goccf.com/t/354118&SearchTerms=gatewest
Edited by the_sifu
09/15/2020 9:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5381 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can try Colonial Acres

https://www.colonialacres.com/Default.asp
Valued Member
Canada
76 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was debating whether or not to bring it up, but I also had a crummy experience with them earlier this summer. I ordered something through the Albern (Gatewest-owned) website, but didn't receive an order confirmation other than the automatic one you get when you fill out an order form and check-out online. My credit card wasn't being charged, so I had to email them a bunch of times to figure out what was going on. It took two weeks for me to figure out what they did.

It turns out they cancelled my order, because the prices on the items I ordered from the website were too low, and hadn't been updated yet. Aside from the fact that this might violate Canada's Competition Act, it was the lack of communication that bothered me. They said they tried emailing me but that my inbox was full (which is not true, I have a gmail account that isn't even 15% full).

Their online ordering systems are apparently from the 1970s, and deeming an item "out of stock" is a manual process (it doesn't happen automatically when a customer orders the last item). They also have to update the prices of items manually (I was told this by the Gatewest manager). I will say that the manager of Albern (essentially Gatewest's Calgary store) did phone and apologize to me profusely; he seemed frustrated by the turn of events as well. I am unsure when (or if) I will order from them again.

I did manage to buy some coins this week (spending the last of my budget for the year) from another dealer, and the experience was much better.
Learn More...
United States
90125 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
489 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered one item from their website earlier this year with no issue. One thing I'm not a fan of is the stock photos or no photos for a lot of items on both Gatewest and Colonial Acres. I can understand for high volume items that are $20 or less, but it's kind of poor to not have actual pictures of $100+ items. Sure, the grade may be accurate, but it is still nice to see the actual item prior to buying.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 398Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05