Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1954-D - No Rim Or Circulation Damage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 208Next Topic  
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  02:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add roostercogburn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am still learning. Is the lack of a rim on this 1954-D penny a mint error or damage? I put it next to another penny for comparison. Any is help appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10902 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  02:47 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looks like damage to me. It may have been in a bezel of some sort.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add roostercogburn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bezel? not sure what that is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3555 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a bezel coin to me as well. No mint error. PMD. Value: 3 cents (what wheaties sell for wholesale).
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14023 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a coin Bezel :

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2300 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

A bezel is a piece that surrounds the coin (think of a washer for a bolt) and it's usually made of metal. The coin is dropped in to a hole in the bezel then "Pressed" to lock it in place. This can damage the coin's rims, flatten them out and sometimes leaves partial lettering. These are used for advertising or souvenirs sometimes called "Lucky Coins."

Your coin looks like it was in a bezel at one time and has fallen out or been removed.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50488 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage of some kind for sure.

to the CCF!
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add roostercogburn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. Learning more everyday.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be an encased cent, or just a damage cent:

On the encased cents show more of a flattening on the rim, making it lower than the normal coin and even affects the fields.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 208Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05