Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare Look At 1943 Specimens With Their Original Packaging

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 684Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4738 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  4:48 pm Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a recent pick up of mine which I'm absolutely ecstatic about. I haven't started a new thread in quite a while but I had to jump at the chance to share this with you all...this is a pair of 1943 specimen tombacs which have been together since the day they were struck. Along with them is the original card holder and most impressively, what appears to be the original envelope that the card and coins would be stored in. The coins have a thin, well done coat of mint issued lacquer and would have likely been inside the card with one facing reverse up while the other coin presented itself obverse up. The degree of preservation that the coins show is outstanding, while the preservation of the card and envelope are simply mind boggling when you consider the fact that they are just made of cardboard and paper..

If you're like me, you probably found yourself wondering how these coins were originally issued and stored..I for one always assumed the coins were issued individually! From what I have been able to uncover it appears that these duos would be sold for $4.75 with the proceeds going towards the war effort..if this is true, that is quite a hefty price!

The coins are off of the same die pairs and the card is royal blue on one side with a golden imprint of the Canadian coat of arms, along with a ribbon which says Royal Canadian Mint.

feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Edited by thedollarman
09/17/2020 5:44 pm
Valued Member
Lebanon
234 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin!
Edited by chronos
09/18/2020 04:04 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51188 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3118 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins, really nice pick-up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1078 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is pretty cool! Nice addition.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
957 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!

I'd be interested to know where you got them!

Did they both grade SP-66?

Are you going to hold on to both of them?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
687 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are stunning! Congrats. Now crack them out of their coffins, put 'em back in the cardboard, tuck them in the envelope and stick them in your sock drawer. . You know I'm kidding, this is how I picture them being found the original time.

Great score. Enjoy them.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
United States
978 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3505 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will, just want to say that with a young numismatist like you
and the way you are approaching the hobby , Canadian numismatics
WILL be in good hands in the future!
Really enjoy the approach you take and the enthusiasm!
One day would love to cross paths! Hats off to you young man!
On topic , fabulous coins and OGP!
Jack Noble Paccoin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8121 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stogie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are truly magnificent coins, very beautiful.
Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Magnificent addition!

Having the original materials in such great condition is fantastic!
Valued Member
Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sergiomomesso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow awesome set! Almost looks like gold !
Valued Member
Canada
162 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll regret for a long, long time I had to pass on those fantastic coins

I'm still happy to know where they are, hope I'll see them one day !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4738 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyonye

Yes Johnny! The pair are both graded SP66 and I plan to keep them together..they've made it this far without being separated do I think it'd be nothing short of a sin to break them up now. They came from none other than the one and only Sandy at proof positive coins!

Loonielewy deep down I really want to I always have the urge to put coins back in their original packaging but the slabs keep 'em safe!

Jack your kind words mean the world to me..if it weren't for you and the other amazing members of the Canadian forum that I was fortunate enough to learn from and interact with since my early teen years, I can say without a doubt I wouldn't be where I am today...and I too am excited for the day we cross paths! I've made it a mission of mine to help establish some new young faces in the hobby and so far it's gone well...one particularly sharp young man comes to mind who is learning and excelling at an unbelievably amazing rate..and he is a couple years younger than me! Before I met him he mostly collected precious metals...now he's moved on to specimens, errors and uniquely nice coins in general.. so I consider it a great success story!

Dollar your Collection is outstanding to say the least, I look forward to the day we get to sit down and share with eachother! If there's one thing I've learned in this hobby, when you miss out on something great... usually something even greater presents itself!
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Edited by thedollarman
09/18/2020 4:16 pm
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is spectacular.... neatly smokes pretty much everything in my collection....
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 684Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05