Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Appraising Coin Collections

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 549Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1595 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  1:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had an interesting phone call today, a lady called and asked if I would appraise her fathers coin collections. Her father has just recently past on and saved coins and paper currency.

I told her I didn't really know what people charged for these services, I would be checking for grades as well as value going through it for varieties and error coins and notes.

Would a person do a lump sum price or hourly and what price would be fair to them?

Comments and answers welcomed and appreciated
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3507 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Our policy .
85.00 per hour CAD plus GST
Written valuation and letter given .
If for insurance purposes , we also provide a
cover letter to the company .
If an offer to purchase , subsequently accepted
within 30 days , we REFUND the purchase appraisal fee
except the GST paid.
Has worked well for us .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4213 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Jack said is pretty close to standard for the industry.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1862 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would add to do a quick scan and if thete's less than 50 dollars of value,to tell them that and refuse to provide a valuation.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1595 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Pertinax,

I mentioned that to her on the phone that I would come and look and see if it was worth her going father before I got to far into it or just spend it. She mentioned her father was a long time Canadian collector most of his life.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
995 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This subject opened a serious can of worms where ethics and honesty
will play a major part in it!

Not wishing to go in to details, at this time of the post, as the why's and the don'ts.
All I have to say at this time is this: The waters are very murky...
I am sure there are other members with good comments coming up!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1078 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with them, it is always exciting to look at something like that. I hope for both of you that it is not a bunch of 1971+ PL/Specimen/etc... coins.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1595 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went and saw and talked to the lady and her husband about her fathers coin collection.

Not a lot of interesting things in his collection all pocket change 1,5,10,25 cent coins lots of Victory nickels, a few 51's, 53's nothing worth grading or keeping really.

I spent a couple hours with them showed them how to use and where to look in the coin book of her father 2009 Charlton for varieties of denominations 1 + 5 cent coins that might pay them a little premium they had way to many to look at.

They had grandkids to pass them off to it will be fun for them to look them over with the kids.

As it turned out it was a fun day and I met a couple of really nice people to bad I couldn't tell them they had a treasure. Then payment come up I told them I never saw anything that would warrant any pay so we settled on a jar of dill pickles, jar of pickled beets, a cucumber, and about 10 lbs of tomatoes I love the barter system and still use it lots.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3191 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful payment!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3507 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
995 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Papeldog
I think you got the better deal than the owners.....
You got some tasty homemade stuff...
Now, the question is this: what are you going to do with all these tomatoes?
remember, cooking is my second hobby! Just recently made a tomato base that can be used to make soup or sauce.... yummmmmy
Valued Member
Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sergiomomesso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
haha very nice ending! :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1078 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is awesome! Sounds like a fun day
Learn More...
Canada
9312 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good score with the pickled beets!!

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 549Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05