Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post #63: Please Help Identify Year On Kavad I AR Drachm

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 286Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  5:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This appears to be an imitation, do you guys agree? It weighs 4.0g. I identified the mint mark as "MY" (Meshan), but am stuggling to identify the regnal year. Any help translating the year mark on this coin would be much appreciated. I know many of the Kavad imitations seem to have "blundered" year marks, would this be an instance of that?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5272 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be a blundered 20?
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree thats what it probably is. It seems to be the year it looks most similar too, mines just missing the "I" at both ends.
Learn More...
United States
23288 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's 20 it is missing several letters. 20 should read Wyst, this looks like maybe ST. Paul can read this better than I can, hopefully he will see this thread.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you guys think my obverse is indicitive of an imitative issue then that may justify the presence of "bungled" script on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2029 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin!.....
Hope this helps...
I think this is a Kavad I (2nd reign) coin as it has the type 2 crown with ribbons breaking through the top obverse border....Possibly a contemporary imitation.
As far as I know the double border reverse for Kavad I wasn't used until regional year 33.......
I also think the mint is ML- Merv Khuristan....

Found this coin which seems to be the same type as the OP..
It certainly is showing the same blundered date..
4th from the bottom.
http://grifterrec.rasmir.com/sasani...kavI_1b.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
5272 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tom Mallon listed that one as "Regnal year: blundered (30-39)"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2029 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tom Mallon listed that one as "Regnal year: blundered (30-39)"
......Yes Bob, it's a really useful site and I refer to it all the time. It has a great deal of info...

ps..The reverse die looks pretty close on both coins but I'm not really sure, although there are a lot of similarities.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paouche for the help! They do indeed look like a match. Based on the data on Mallon's site it does apear the double border reverse started in year 33, so I'll attribute my coin as "Year >33 Blundered Spelling, ML Mint".
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And Palouche, could you be able to identify the mint mark on this Khosrow II Year 13 Drachm? It is a bit worn into the field, but perhaps enough detail for an expert like you to attribute?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2029 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was between 2.........AT or ST
The 2 vertical lines on the OP coin seem more curved and so I'd go for ST- Istakhr (Persepolis)..Fars/Istakhr District.

Here's a ST example to compare...
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much! I will attribute it as such.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05