Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit 1726 Ecu, 8 Reales?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 303Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  5:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are all counterfeit correct? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-M...LH_Auction=1
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They all have "issues." The Mexico cob would likely date to the 1600s and looks real but is missing much information. The 1726 French Ecu has graffiti and oddly its mint mark which might be "H" for La Rochelle is blundered. The Mexican Cap & Ray dollar is not good and the last coin needs to be looked up, but has significant wear. Truly this is an odd lot!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last one is the one I was most interested in but also the one I was unsure about. Its a Tollero under Cosimo III for Livorno 167?.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess someone didn't think so
Pillar of the Community
United States
5017 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are certainly all problem coins.

The 1834/3 Do RM 8R is in my opinion most likely a genuine coin. If it was counterfeit, or if I suspect it most likely was I would be bidding.

The 1726 Mexican Ecu is possibly a counterfeit. But I am not 100% certain.

The other two I would have zero interest in.

The price is already far too high.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17395 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John S. Davenport many, many decades ago warned of high quality counterfeit and fake European crown sized silver coins.

With the severe lack of pictorial detail shown here, it would be impossible for me to make a decision to even consider them, let alone 'pull the trigger' to buy.

I would very much prefer to examine each item closely in hand first, even given a cast iron guarantee that they were all genuine. The stakes are too high for me otherwise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would very much prefer to examine each item closely in hand first,
Of course.

Quote:
The price is already far too high

Yeah, It went over what I would have bid even if I thought they were all genuine.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My only two guesses are that the French ecu is real, but with later graffiti, and that the date of the Livorno tallero may have been tampered with. It looks like 1678, which may be an unlisted date? If it is 1675, the last digit looks too large in relation to the three smaller digits that precede it (I could not find a photo of any date in the 1670s for comparison, so that comment pertains to later dates of the same type).
And yep, somebody(ies) thought enough of them were real to bid it up pretty high despite the poor condition.

Edit: I found an image of a 1675 Tallero (maybe you already did @gincoin), and the last digit is considerably thicker than the 7, and also rounded enough to be mistaken for an 8 with wear, so I think this coin is likely a 1675. Maybe this is where the buyer saw value, as it is quite a rare date for the type? https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...us=1&order=0Ący=usd&company=
Edited by tdziemia
09/20/2020 6:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is most likely the case tdz
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05