Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 S Uncirculated Lincoln Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 197Next Topic  

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  9:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinstrike to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My father has a penny I grade at MS63 or 64. It's difficult to see through the sealed pouch he keeps it in, but you can tell in the picture that the 9 and 5 in the date have extra metal in them, possibly due to a die crack. Extra metal also fills the lower loop of the "S" mint mark. Could anyone suggest how I should go about finding a value for this coin?
Also, I see possible doubling in "IN GOD WE TRUST." I can't take a shot of this without my microscope as I am away from home, but, is anyone aware of a slight DDO on a 55 s penny? Thank you.

Learn More...
United States
17343 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cs, the extra metal bits are the result of small chips in the die used to strike this coin. I think that they are pretty common on cents of the '50s.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3747 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to a value, check eBay's SOLD listings for a rough idea as to what other similar coins in this condition sold for.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51144 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse digs would hold this to MS-62, I'm thinking. Sharper pics would help.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11032 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  02:42 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There also seem to be some prints on the reverse that lower eye appeal (and value). I would check eBay listings for approximate value, as suggested.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 197Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05