Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963-D LMC--Possible 3/3 DDO And 4 Cuds-- Cud Website Authority

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 286Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I do not believe these are lamination errors.
This coin exhibits die breaks resulting in rim cuds. See the following web site dedicated to identifying CUDS:
http://cuds-on-coins.com/
There are examples of similar rim cuds on Lincoln Cents on the site, such as:
CU-1c-1966-07
CU-1c-1966-"Rim Cud"
CU-1c-1966 "Rim Cud"
CU-1c-1966-17
Coop usually is the authority on CUDs, so I will be interested to see whether he provides a supportive comment. Also a comment on the 3/3 DDO.
Just to further the review of this coin, I have provided an additional close-up photo of what appears to be a 3/3 on the date.
So, I was looking at some LMCs I have been putting aside for years, and this 1963-D popped up. When I examined the 3 in the date, I could see the image of another 3---like a ghost beneath the lower seriff and the middle. I checked Wexler and found a WDDO-001 for the 3/3. What to your think?
Then, I discovered that there are four CUDs on the coin.
Even if the coin is not the WDDO-001, it is really a neat find.

2 CUDS in this photo--1 at between 10:00 and 11:00, and another above the IN

Another 2 CUDS in this photo---2 above the W in WE
Edited by mb560600
09/20/2020 9:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing the DDO but the "cuds" you mention are probably lamination peels (or struck through foil).
Learn More...
United States
17386 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, those don't look like cud's so much as either lams or struck through foil.

Edit: beat me to it @joseph!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence and Joseph--How is a lamination peel different from a CUD or Die Break?
From what I have reviewed in several authorities, a CUD is a marginal die break which is an error produced when a piece breaks off the edge of a die and involves the rim and least a little bit of the adjacent field of the design. Isn't that what is appearing on this coin? If not please explain.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3012 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A cud is when marginal pieces of the die break off, lamination is when pieces of the planchet break off, usually due to improper alloy mix or imperfections in the metal.

Your coin has some small lamination peels. Not seeing a DDO.
Edited by Tanman2001
09/20/2020 9:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3012 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With Tanman
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Respectfully, check out die breaks and rim cuds at
http://www.error-ref.com/rim-cud/
This is what appears on the rim areas in question on this coin, not lamination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3012 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a raised interruption in the design rim that perfectly tracks the course of the design rim.

Nope.

If you looks at your photos, you can see the metal is flaking off, it is separating from the coin. You can probably stick a piece of paper underneath it. This cannot happen with a cud. With a cud, the coin is all in one piece, no metal is coming off. A cud is just a raised area on the coin where the metal was pushed into a gap in the die created by a marginal break.

See this cud I found in 2016, which is now my user icon: http://goccf.com/t/274216
Edited by Tanman2001
09/21/2020 10:58 am
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The cuds on the rims look different than the OP's photos. They have all the classic edges or LAM's. One looks like a piece of foil struck through.

But its your coin, you can label it however you want.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05