Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions On The Galba Sestercius And Nero Dupondius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 231Next Topic  
Bosnia And Herzegovina
2 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  10:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add resistance88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I'm new to coins in general, but in the last few days I've gotten interested in Roman coins because I'm a fan of history and especially Roman empire.
I was thinking of buying one or two and show-casing them at home, maybe one day sell them for a couple million :)
Anyway, what do you think about these two ?
Sorry for the bad pictures. The guy selling them is an old man and doesn't know how to take a picture.

Galba Sestercius:
https://ibb.co/7SbkMy2
https://ibb.co/B6YMVTS

Nero Dupondius:
https://ibb.co/Dg8Xcfx
https://ibb.co/7zNs1ng

Nero could be interesting because of the separate A V CVI letters.
What do you think a fair price for each would be ?

Cheers.

Edited by resistance88
09/21/2020 10:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35959 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't help you but, to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2587 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't buy either of them. They both look like fakes to me. The style is too crude on both of them.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1755 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They both look like casts of modern imitations.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2587 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a photograph of an authentic Galba LIBERTAS PVBLICA Sestertius which you can compare to the coin the seller is offering. I think it shows the difference in style.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of fake ancient coins on the market.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1755 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Galba from a fakes database,

and here is the Nero from the same database

Bosnia And Herzegovina
2 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add resistance88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys really have a trained eye.
What would you look at first when determining if the coin is fake ?
On closer look, I also see the crudeness in them.

Thanks a lot for the answers and the welcome :)
Edited by resistance88
09/21/2020 3:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
23268 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

They both appear to be fakes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
722 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're just starting out, I would only buy from trusted dealers. It will take some time in spotting fakes and we all get fooled every now and again. Vcoins is a good place to start and there CCF partners here on this forum.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 231Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05