Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Roosevelt Dime Error ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 284Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  12:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Couldn't find this, so I'm posting again. What's up with this dime .

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like acid damage to me
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok , What about the RIM ? See how one edge is reeded and the other smooth . No other issues, except that gaping Groove that goes all around . Faulty upset rim error ? LOL . Yes it's a real error . Book written by Alan Hebert , An official Price Guide to Mint Errors .
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/22/2020 1:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2454 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think it's a partial collar, but I can't really tell for sure from these images. Do you have a weight on the coin?

Here's the original thread. http://goccf.com/t/382715
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Edited by Yokozuna
09/22/2020 2:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1084 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with acid damage. Certain acids will eat away at the copper core quickly, while leaving the outer layers. Notice how the core is recessed from the outer layers.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will weigh it. I guess acid it is . Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1666 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that indented rim goes all the way around the dime, that wouldn't be a collar error since the collar isn't configured like that or that small on one side.

I would say it is damage from some kind of bezel or compressed into some lucky coin charm?
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Pete, The groove goes all around the coin. It does taper some though .
The coin weighs exactly 2.05 g . NORMAL dimes (modern) weigh 2.268g. DIFFERENCE of .218 g .
? Any thoughts ?
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/23/2020 07:33 am
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I hang on to it. Can't sell it. Not an attributed coin .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1666 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since it is under weight I would think most will consider the "groove" to be removed material, aka. PSD.
It's a different coin and I'd hang onto for Educational purposes.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Pete. I will .
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05