Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

David J. Ryder Director Of The Mint Medal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 140Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  11:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just out of morbid curiosity, is this usual practice for the mint to make a medal to commemorate the acting director? Also, are these made publicly available or is this something that will be gifted? I don't want to make a political statement, but it seems odd to me but maybe I didn't notice it because the director when I recently started collecting coins was an acting director for his tenure.

Thanks for any info.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4697 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few thoughts that I hope will help answer your questions:

- David Ryder is not an Acting Director, he is a full Director; he is currently serving in the position for the second time. He was nominated by President Trump and fully-confirmed by Congress in 2018 - he has been in office since April 12, 2018. Ryder was also the Director of the US Mint from September 1992 to November 1993, serving within the administrations of George HW Bush and William "Bill" Clinton.

- The Mint does have a series of medals that it strikes for Directors of the Mint. I don't believe it has struck a medal for each Director in its history, but it has struck medals for quite a few. The series includes a medal for the first Director - David Rittenhouse.

- Bronze copies of the Ryder medal will very likely be available for sale from the US Mint. It seems almost certain it will be available in a three-inch size, but it may also be available as a 1-5/16-inch medal as well.

- The US Mint has had a recent stretch of Acting Directors, but this is not the norm. Richard Peterson, Rhett Jeppson and David Moti all served in the position between January 2011 and April 2018. As none of these men had the formal title of "Director of the US Mint," it seems unlikely (IMO) that a medal will be struck for them - but anything is possible!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/24/2020 12:10 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 140Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05