Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 Jefferson Nickel- Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 161Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First time posting here in the grading forum. Found this one CRH. Think it is a proof coin. What's the best way to determine Proof, Cameo and Deep Cameo? I have more pictures of the facial features, but it appears that protocol here is one photo of each obverse/reverse. Thanks all!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36017 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a brilliant proof (no cameo) and being found in circulation makes it an impaired proof.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, impaired proof. Nice find.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the newbie in me has to ask- Does "Impaired Proof" simply mean it saw circulation or are there other means for them to become impaired? How does it affect value? Probably will keep the coin even if it is "Impaired"- it is the best looking "older" coin that I have found so far in my fledgling hobby.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51209 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Impaired" can mean many things, including being carelessly mishandled even though the specimen never made it into circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36017 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Value would be less than a non impaired coin,kinda like a "details" coin would be.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What would an approximate grade for this coin be? Just trying to give myself a baseline.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9282 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
According to the Professional Coin Grading Service, an impaired proof is "a proof coin that grades less than PR-60; a circulated proof." Unfortunately, not every proof coin is kept in the best condition.

your coin has seen circulation. a circulated proof coin would not grade as proof as the grades begin at PF60. this coin if it graded at the lowest proof value would have a value of about .45 so your coin really doesn't have much value at all since its an impaired proof. however it is not that common to find in circulation
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great information from all! Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cameo refers to frosting on the devices, esp on the portrait. Virtually all proof coins made since about 1985 display such a cameo frosting. Before about 1970, few coins exhibited cameo frosting. Your coin has no frosting, which is the most common type of 1958 proof.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 161Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05