Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cracked Byzantine Coin - Any Chance To Stabilize?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 422Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I do not yet have a Byzantine coin in my collection, and there is one type that would fill a hole in one of my collecting themes, so I have been watching for an attractive example.

One has come up in auction, the strike is unusually strong but there is a problem (um ... two actually): the coin has two cracks, one about 50% through the coin, the other moreso (though not through the center). If either crack propagates through, I'll be left with two half coins. I have no plan to ever re-sell, so if that were to happen, I guess that could always be fixed with a little Scotch tape or epoxy (just kidding).

So, my questions are:
1. is there any known way to halt the crack, or at least stabilize the coin? I have some background in materials science, so I know one tried and true way to stop a crack in metals, but applying it to a coin would be so gruesome that I'm not gonna mention it lest I give a Forum member a heart attack.
2. would you risk buying it? (minimum bid $120)

Edited by tdziemia
09/24/2020 12:50 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
701 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I did buy the coin I'd first make sure there was a guarantee that if the coin arrived to me in two pieces they will refund me 100% and get their coin back. At the very least they would be quite serious about packing it correctly. Then when it arrived I'd open a case, custom cut an insert from a smaller hole that might be made for a dime or nickel, then once inside my case seal it and never open it again. Exacto razor blade knife work on the polymer foam insert. Just my thoughts and I know people don't like slabbing coins usually.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
09/24/2020 12:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5264 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Theodore I Comnenus-Lascaris?

Quote:
would you risk buying it?

If the seller is reputable, assures that the cracks appear stable, has a good return policy (if the coin breaks in transit), and the price is right (perhaps somewhat lower than others of the type and grade, that have no cracks), then I suppose I would - yes.
Valued Member
Lebanon
234 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very beautiful coin !
Learn More...
United States
23278 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Empire of Nicaea Theodore I Sear # 2064. Don't see many of these around. A beautiful strike, well worth the asking price for a intact coin. I can just see this coin breaking into small pieces during shipping unless it is encapsulated. That would be IMO the only way to keep the coin from breaking apart.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
391 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful coin, and an amazing strike.

Quote:
I know one tried and true way to stop a crack in metals

By drilling a hole?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.
Yes @echizento, it caught my eye because the strike is really superb, and I really should have a St. Theodore in my collection of coins with Christian saints, since George, Demetrius and Theodore were venerated widely in the early Eastern church.
The seller is reputable. However, I would probably ask them to hold it until I can pick it up in person, so the risk of breaking in transit disappears. I am long overdue for a visit back to my home state of Pennsylvania to see some old friends.

Quote:

I know one tried and true way to stop a crack in metals

By drilling a hole?

Yes, @novicius. Well known to reduce the stress concentration at the crack tip, and thwart further crack growth. But in this case, I think the remedy might just kill the patient (not to mention any CCF member with pre-disposing conditions who would be shocked at the mere thought there is a collector who would drill a small hole in such a lovely coin )
Edited by tdziemia
09/25/2020 07:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5264 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
long overdue for a visit back to my home state of Pennsylvania

As another displaced Pennsylvanian, I'm curious where in PA you're from. Can't recall if we discussed it before,Ted.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was born in Philly, but the family moved away shortly thereafter. Returned in my 20s and lived in West Phila., Bala Cynwyd and Radnor (between Bryn Mawr and Broomall) for the next 33 years. Do I recall also western Philly 'burbs for you?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5264 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greater Northeast for my childhood, then Elkins Park in my teens, Jenkintown in my twenties, Aston in Delaware County in my early thirties. Then to the Midwest.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DiomedesOfArgos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this coin as well. I looked it up from when it previously sold. Time (and perhaps the previous owner?) have not been kind...

From how it looked in 2005 versus how it looks today, I would be very concerned of more cracking. If you buy it, hopefully you can find a way to effectively preserve it.
Learn More...
United States
91038 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DiomedesOfArgos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck, thank you
Learn More...
United States
23278 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DiomedesOfArgos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
echizento, thank you as well
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Diomedes, thank you for the comment.
The auction house did disclose that the coin has been damaged since its last sale, so I am forewarned.
I am a collector who is unconcerned about resale value so it's mostly about risk of disappointment should the coin disintegrate into 3 or 4 new pieces during my (remaining) lifetime.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05