Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 25 Cent Foreign Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
61 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  01:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fenian to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up from the RCNA auction and am quite excited as I have been looking for a aluminum example for quite a while.

It finally arrived today after 15 very anxious days in transit.

CCCS lists it as .8 grams.

Given the year am I correct that it is likely made from a planchet meant for an Israeli five agorot coin?

Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3726 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are the specifications for the 5 Agorot coin:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1724.html
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17436 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need to research what contracts RCM had for foreign coins in 1978.
That info can be found in the RCM published annual mint report for that year.

This will give the lead you need to determine what foreign planchet may have been used for the coin pictured.

Value will depend on what can be found for recent numismatic public auction sales for similar coins.
My guess would put the value of coin pictured in the $200 to $400 range.

Potential value would indicate to me that research suggested would be justified. good luck!

Maybe just go to Calgary Coin or other top class dealer, and they may be able to provide all of the info you need at one location.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51336 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick-up, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8133 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure that this is where you got your info Fenian
http://www.coinscan.com/for/foreign.html
http://www.coinscan.com/for/isr.html
I would agree the five Agorot seems like a good fit.
1978 must have been a special year for quarters struck on wrong planchets. I have two, one was found by my brother in his change about forty years ago and the other I bought on eBay almost twenty years ago.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
09/26/2020 10:32 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05