Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2,500 British 10p Coins - Noodling Results

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 372Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7637 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  03:59 am Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I started checking through 10p coins in bags from the bank (and changing 2 coins at my local amusement arcade) at the start of 2019. I've now reached 2,500. (I don't count coins deliberately 'won' in pusher machines towards the total).
1992 471
1995 6
1996 39
1997 31
2000 59
2001 40
2002 25
2003 35
2004 44
2005 28
2006 42
2007 33
2008 lion 1
2008 shield 39
2009 48
2010 39
2011 81
2012 92
2013 414
2014 514
2015 Rank-Broadley 141
2015 Jody Clark 111
2016 Jody Clark 152
2017 4
2018 V (Village) 1
2019 M (Mackintosh) 1
TOTAL 2491

OTHER COINS
Canada 25c 2009 1
New Zealand 50c 2006 1
USA 25c 1999P Georgia 1
Falklands 10p 1998 1
Guernsey 10p 1992 1
Jersey 10p 1992 2
Jersey 10p 2006 1
Jersey 10p 2012 1
TOTAL 9

Cupro-nickel (post-2011) total 984 out of 2,500.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 50 cent coin is worth about 26p - so you did well there. My mate in the UK sent me these

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
Australia
13450 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the number of Channel Islands / Manx coins my parents used to bring me that they'd found in change from holidaying in Britain, I'm surprised at the low count from those islands.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7637 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  06:30 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm surprised at the low count from those islands.

IOM and Channel Islands coins tend to be commoner where the ferries from those islands come in - you tend to see more Manx coins in the Liverpool area and more Jersey and Guernsey coins around Bournemouth and Poole. I find Jersey ones by far the commonest. The Falklands 10p is the first small-size Falklands 10p I've ever found in circulation, although I had three or four of the older, large ones before 1990. Maybe back then there were more troops coming back from the islands and spending their change (there's a large army camp near my home).
Valued Member
United Kingdom
473 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  06:58 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think also that people tend to notice and save the unusual coins they find in change. If SAP's parents had brought back every coin they had handled during their trip, he might have got a different impression?
Valued Member
Australia
317 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of amazing that you only got 2 alphabet coins (and only 1 from each year). Need to crunch the numbers to see how many coins you'd need to noodle to get a complete set of both dates.
Edited by David Graham
10/11/2020 3:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7637 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Need to crunch the numbers to see how many coins you'd need to noodle to get a complete set of both dates.

I don't know, but when I go to my local amusement arcade I see thousands of 10p coins in pusher machines and often don't spot a single one. And the alphabet coins even have the advantage of being identifiable by both the obverse and the reverse...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wish we had coin pushers, there aren't any in Australian I think it is cause its define as a form of gambling, unless the payout is in tokens which makes it a hassle for amusement places.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1500 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think those alphabet coins were a joke from woe to go, they did not issue enough of them. I can understand if they issued too many of them (Say like 10 million of each) but the amount they did issue was way too low and they did not stop all the dealers and the scammers like Changechecker and Westminster from buying up huge stocks of them to sell at mark ups.

I mean take the fact they issue 1 million of each date, how many were actually put into direct circulation, once the RM takes out the coins need for sets and separate carded ones, silver proofs, proofs and all the other gee gaw.

The example here of our 2015 50 cent Anzac coin, 1 million minted (Usual 50 cent mintage is at least 10 million coins a year) at least 500k went into rolls sold at Post Offices and bought up by Trade Me and ebay speculators who sold them at 5 - 6x Face mark ups, 150k to War personnel and soldiers, fair enough and at least 250k more went into sets and "disappered" probably sold to hoarders and speculators for a mark up.

That left 100k coins put into circulation and I never saw one in change, most shops and banks had no idea what they were and the apper was full of stories of shops refusing them as they thought they were illegal or foreign (Then again most dairies, cafes and retail shops are run by migrant Indians and Chinese who have a limited understanding of our coinage anyway).

Would this be the same thing in the UK with the alphabet coins - 90% disappear to speculators and promotional stuff and just a handful hit circulation?

With coin pushers, I remember they existed here until about 1988 and only had 2 cent coins in them, many were shut down as it turned out most were rigged and only a few of the coins you got, the rest were projected by prisms and disappeared down chutes that were unseen.

In 1987/88 there was a crack down on "Carnies" who operated them and crooked sideshows at fairs and A&P shows, coin pushers, clown mouth things, dartboards and ring toss games were all rigged. I can remember in 1988 at a fair, one ring toss game had a mouldering 1960s $100 note on a post and it had been there since the 60s.

Clown mouth things that had prizes for the totals of the ping pong balls you dropped in them. One total was a $100 note, the total you got was always the booby prize of a lolly - these cost $2 or more for 5 balls.

I can even remember coin pusher operators would change big coins for 2 cent coins and often underchanged you and gave you 1 cent coins. It was this lack of regualtion that saw it all change. Now we just have the electric money vacuums (Slots/pokies/fruities) and most are cashless (Notes only and paper ticket payouts).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
181 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2020  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've yet to see a single one at the amusements either. Even though I've only visited infrequently the fact I haven't seen a single one (and I'm extremely good at checking machines so doubt I would have missed any) is very telling. They're a complete joke if you ask me. How is it fun to collect something that you haven't at least got a realistic chance of completing the set of?

It's kind of the same with 50ps/2s now though - greedy people who have much better access to coins hoard enormous amounts of them and as such they never really circulate very much.
Edited by Collector28
10/12/2020 06:34 am
Valued Member
Australia
317 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin pusher? Had to google that one. Never seen nor heard of such a beast until now.
I suspect Australia has gone the same way in respect to profit makers/hoarders getting pre-circulation access coinage. It's a win only situation. They can purchase tens of thousands of dollars worth, make some money, and in worst case, take the rest back to the bank for face value so it's a deal that the hoarders cannot lose. As for the Mint's involvement, just look at the amount of bling coinage they pump out at OTT premiums and it's easy to see why they won't do anything about fellow profit makers. Frustrating but a fact of life.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05