Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

If DC Is Granted Statehood Next Year.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 432Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
696 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  9:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would you consider the territory quarter that came out in 2009 as a territory quarter or would you start calling it a State Quarter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3009 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hasn't it been called District of Columbia and US Territories quarters from launch?
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would still call it what it is, a DC & US Territories Quarter. It is representing what DC was at the time they were minted.

But this is just my opinion. I would not get mad at anyone for calling it a Statehood Quarter, although they would be missing the year it attained Statehood like all other other ones have. I have not been mad at people calling these coins an extension for the Statehood series, so why start now?

For what it is worth, I have these coins in a page added to my Statehood Dansco album.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never liked the "territories" designation -- to me, there are 56 coins in the statehood set. (I know, I know, but still.)
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19662 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just want to go back to Quarters the way they used to be.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DC isn't going to get statehood. it was purposely kept excluded for a valid reason and I think it's still valid today.

Anything is possible of course, I just doubt it happens.

The U.S. Constitution provides for a federal district under the exclusive jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress, and the district is therefore not a part of any U.S. state, and not a state itself.

It's roughly 68 square miles. The smallest state is Rhode Island and it's 1,212 square miles for perspective. DC is even kind of small for a city...

It was never meant to be a state, it was always meant to be a federal district, and that's how it should remain.

Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Problem is that way too many people live there now. I doubt the founders envisioned the necessary service industry requirements of our modern capital city.

But I degree... not a discussion for CCF.

As I said in another thread, interesting times.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11036 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  01:20 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never considered the DC quarter a "territory" quarter in the first place. I'll just call it the "DC quarter." If there are ever any new states added, I doubt there will be a shortage of new Mint products to mark the occasion.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16976 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I doubt the founders envisioned the necessary service industry requirements of our modern capital city.

Same as any other large city. Should we start making all the large cities "states".

Big-Kingdom is correct, it was deliberately set up so that the seat of government would not be beholden to any particular state and would be rune by the Federal Government itself, and it should remain that way. Maybe theFederal Government should start to take more of a "hands on" approach to the running of the District.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Same as any other large city. Should we start making all the large cities "states".
No, because they already have representation in Congress.

I think you missed the point (that DC was not meant to be a place where a large population of people lived and worked their entire lives; eligible males were expected to return to their home states to vote for representation).

But again, this is really not the venue to discuss it further.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4694 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not ever consider the 2009 DC quarter a State Quarter.

It was not part of the legislation that created the Statehood Quarters program back in 1997 - it was authorized in separate legislation in 2007 that was designed to recognize non-states that are a part of the US. For me, it is now and would continue to be the "DC Quarter."

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 432Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05