Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts? Proposed Coin Design Changes From 2022 - 2030

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 532Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  08:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are proposed coin design changes referenced in H.R. 1923, Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020, which authorizes massive changes to circulating coinage to be implemented from 2022 to 2030, as well as authorizing new medals programs. Variations are possible even with one design. And of course, a myriad of money-making opportunities (especially with the semiquincentennial and sport-themed coins) can arise for the US Mint.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...coin-changes

Part of the article.

The House of Representatives on Sept. 22 passed legislation authorizing massive changes to circulating coinage to be implemented from 2022 to 2030, as well as authorizing new medals programs.

The bill, H.R. 1923, would authorize:

#10148; Circulating quarter dollars honoring women to be issue from 2022 through 2025.
#10148; Circulating coins in multiple denominations in 2026 celebrating the U.S. semiquincentennial.
#10148; Circulating quarter dollars from 2027 through 2030 celebrating youth sports.
#10148; Redesigned half dollars from 2027 through 2030 with reverses celebrating sports performed by individuals with disabilities.
#10148; Medals with the same designs as the coins celebrating youth sports and sports for the disabled.
#10148; Award medals for the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.
#10148; Silver bullion coins with the same designs as all of the quarter dollars and half dollars authorized from 2022 through 2030, in the now standard 5-ounce size and in "fractional sizes."

If passed by the Senate and signed into law by the president, the legislation represents the most sweeping changes to U.S. coinage in years.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If we have to continue with 5 different quarters every year from now on...which apparently we do...I think the first and second are appropriate. I'm not a fan of any of the sports-themed circulation coins. Seems like something more appropriate for commemoratives. Don't need youths playing tennis, youths playing volleyball, etc. on the quarter.
I'd much rather see coins honoring Americans with disabilities that have made significant historical contributions (science, government, etc.) than sports performed by individuals with disabilities. The former would contribute to people learning about and understanding the great value of people with disabilities, while the latter is just a nicety or hollow gesture.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4911 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What, no changes in the dime?
All the other coins have had at least design varieties.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2026/semiquincentennial is the most reasonable of the batch. After that, would be the perfect time to redo coins in general -- lose the penny, rethink the nickel, and replace all of the dead presidents with allegories of Liberty like we always used to have. They can still do rotating designs on the reverse, and I like captaincoffee's approach here, but themes like sports and disabilities don't really go with Washington and Kennedy on the other side.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9046 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10148 - Circulating coins in multiple denominations in 2026 celebrating the U.S. semiquincentennial.

I'm all for that and wouldn't mind seeing all the Ike dollars in that mix again. I'd like the Jefferson nickel to get the nod. This time all special mint sets and proof in .999 or .900 silver.
Hard to believe 50 years will have passed since the new Bicentennial coins were big news. Man time sure does fly.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11060 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with TNG. Let's not overdo it.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The U.S. Mint supports these design changes and variations.

Imagine the amount of additional revenue it will receive from selling proofs, reverse proofs, uncirculated, enhanced uncirculated, coin and chronicles sets, rolls, and other types of products....!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
574 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The House of Representativeson Sept. 22 passed legislation authorizing massive changes to circulating coinage to be implemented from 2022 to 2030, as well as authorizing new medals programs.

Mustn't the US Senate authorize this too? Could there be changes in the process?

Coins commemorating the U.S. semiquincentennial make the most sense from this list. The rest...well, let's just say ''inspired by the 2028 Olympics''
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. I'm looking forward to the coins for the semiquincentennial. Athletes ... I can survive without.
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
U.S. Mint Director, David J. Ryder, is promoting the changes in circulating coinage from from 2022 - 2030 as an alternative to other coin change proposals, including an extension of the current America the Beautiful series, which ends next year (2021).

Director Ryder is managing the U.S. Mint like a business -- which he should do -- so that it earns, rather than loses money. How best to accomplish this goal? One way is to promote the different designs in order to market a wide variety of products -- hopefully which consumers will buy. I am certain we will see a wide array of products with different finishes, privy marks, packaging, etc. in the years to come. We will also likely see low mintage wonders for those who chase such things.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19674 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't care what they do with most of the coins. I stopped collecting Quarters after that State ones. I still collect Jefferson nickels but not sure why. And Lincoln Cents will probably continue for another hundred years so I'll need some or many extra pages for my Albums.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3602 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, that all is just stupid IMO. Except the 250 year anniversary. That I am good with. The rest, please just stop. Come up with a single new design that is good and not pandering and go with it.
Learn More...
United States
91001 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What, no changes in the dime?

Quote:
...would be the perfect time to redo coins in general -- lose the penny, rethink the nickel, and replace all of the dead presidents with allegories of Liberty like we always used to have.

Quote:
I'm all for that and wouldn't mind seeing all the Ike dollars in that mix again.

Interesting times. I am sure whatever happens will okay with me as I really have no choice in the matter.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16976 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, it's passed the House, hopefully the Senate will have some sense and file it away in file 13. Special designs for all the coins for 2026 ONLY, I could go for, but the rest of that garbage, no way.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05